1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm a spammer....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I got a buncha angry replies in my inbox Thursday because I'd apparently sent out a massive spam email to everyone in my (admittedly unkempt) inbox.

I don't think I got phished using phony sites, so I've apparently picked up some sort of bot. I've since changed the password to my email account, but obviously, if they've gotten my password once, they can get it again.

I'm using an anti-virus software, and consider myself to be "moderately web savy" in terms of what I download, what sites I visit, etc.

What's the best way to deal with this, determine the nature of attack, and prevent it from occurring again?

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Install Linux.
    Also helps to have two PCs one for bitnaz one for fun (I'm not here to judge).
    If you're using a peer to peer service: don't. In general just don;t idly browse the internet know the sites that you're going to.

3. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have minimal file downloads that mostly are limited to practice session recordings.

I do a fair deal of web browsing, but not too much more. No peer to peer on this computer since I've rebuilt it after another virus a few months back.

4. Or someone could have spoofed your email address and sent out a ton of those emails. It's also possible that the email service you're using isn't secure. If it is a web based e-mail service (gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail, etc...) chances are good that it's either spoofing, a poorly set up password (remember to use letters, numbers, and capitalization on one or more letters), or you got a rootkit or keylogger hidden in your system by a drive-by download from a website you visited.

If you use a download type email program (eudora, pegasus, outlook), you might very well have a virus or some other form of malware that sends your login info to someone. Further information is in order, such as what type of mail you're using (web-based or download), what antivirus you're using and whether it's a free version vs. a paid version, etc... There are several free antiviruses that keep rootkit and keylogger detection disabled unless you're using their paid version software (AVG comes to mind).

If you are using webmail, again as stated, it's probably a case of email address spoofing, where they fake your email address in order to get people to open mail. When it comes to passwords, think L33t5p34K (utilizing Leetspeak is a good way to create a very secure password).

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've had that happen once - a real spammer just spoofed your email address as the "reply to" address on their spam.

i wouldn't worry too much about it.

6. People reply to spam mail? I just delete mine, taking the time to send back replies to a few of them would take a few minutes each at least.

7. +1 I have better things to do than insult a bot.

8. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks. I'm using webmail. I've updated my password to hopefully be less breakable. I have always done this for financial websites, but didn't think that my email was as much of a priority.

Anti-virus is Symantec. It's a full version but it is a couple years old, although regularly updated.
    I've seen that before as well, however, this involved my entire friends, family, and all other contacts in my email inbox receiving this from me, I can only assume that they've accessed my account in order to know those addresses.
    My mom replied to me to ask me why I'd sent her a link to erectile dysfunction medication.:meh:

9. Had that happen to me once but has never happened again. But my old email did get hacked into and my password was changed. Never recovered that email.

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  11. I respond to those Nigerian Bankers. I just end up playing with them though, like I get 95% of the cash rather than the 5% they originally offered. But, they never reply back. :(

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021