I'm a Super-Newbie. Check it out...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, Apr 14, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I don't even have my bass yet, but I'm getting a Fender Jazz Standard 5 String...and a used Crate BX80XL amp. Is there anything else I should get besides the bass and the amp?
  2. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    sorry... :( I dont know what patch cords are :( (thats why I'm a super-newbeie) :p

PS: My name's Chris also, heh
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    You need an instrument cable. That is what a patch cord is.

I would also suggest you get a tuner. For some ideas on how to play, you might pickup Roscoe Beck's beginning Blues Bass video. Lotsa cool info in there. :)

Good luck man!
  4. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Oh, ok, thanks for the info...

I've recently become a Gary Willis fan, have you heard of or used his book "Fingerboard Harmony for Bass"? if so..how is it?
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Besides getting a patch-cord, tuner and an instructional video...get a strap :)
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Oh, yeah! :p
  7. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Any special brand of tuner, strap, patch cords etc...that you recommend me to use?
  8. for a strap, i'd say don't go with the cheapest out there. I tore through my strap after a few months of playing. Don't buy the most extravagant one there (though I do want the pink furry one GC sells for my next gig.... :) ) but don't buy the one that costs 12 cents.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I think any cable labeled "instrument cable" and is sold in stores will suffice. The Korg CA-20 and GA-20 tuners are good stuff - the GA-20 is locked to standard tuning (EADG) while the CA-20 is fully chromatic. Then, of course, you need something to play and something that will teach you how to play. :)
  10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Musician's Friend has these bass straps made by Neotech. Great straps. Cushy and bouncy. I use Monster Cable cords. They'll last longer than you.
    For a tuner, go for a cheepie. You don't need to spend a load of $ on this stuff (yet). Good choice on the bass, by the way. You just can't go wrong with a jazz.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Some ONE. A teacher is most invaluable. I played for 3 years before a teacher was available, and I have to say, it's the only way to go, not having a teacher is gonna hurt in the long run...
  12. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Get yourself a wire cutter. One day you'll wanna change strings. You could wind the excess around the tuner pegs, but believe it or not, that can cause you to fall out of tune more easily. If you cut your strings off to a manageable length, string changes are much easier.

Also, get a guitar stand. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER just leave your bass leaning against the amp while you answer the phone, go to the bathroom, walk across the room to reset the tape, etc. For $15 - 30 you can get a decent one.

Have fun, and keep us Talk Bassers up to speed on your progress.

James Martin
  13. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I've been searching around the internet for patch cables, and I was looking at musiciansfriend.com. They have some cables that are about 10 dollars, and some that are around 40-100 dollars (the monster cables) is there a big difference in sound quality from these cables? or is buying the monster cable a waste of money...
  14. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    No not at all. When I switched from old $@@+ cables to monster cables it almost sounded like a new bass! While maybe not a new bass but the sounds quality was alot better.
  15. i've read gary willis' book on harmony and thought that it was very good but i wouldn't recommend unless you have at least a basic idea of what theory is. if you're a newbie to music in general i would suggest that you get something else like a teacher.
  16. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
  17. Most important! Don't forget to get ear plugs for your family members.
  18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    If I were you I wouldn't go for a monster cable yet, it won't make THAT much difference to your sound and as you're only just starting out it's not like you're going to be recording any albums or whatever in the next month... Just something that doesn't buzz or break will do for now probably.

Oh yeah... Get straplocks, it sucks to be playing then your bass hits you in the feet. You could break bass and foot. Also... As it's a Jazz bass with an offset waist (is that the right phrase?) you might find it hard getting a stand to fit it, get a wall hanger instead! They look cool and it's kind of like having a guitar shop in your house.

Also, don't quit. However much you suck to start with you WILL get better if you practice loads. Tabs can be useful but please try to actually work out what the bass is doing first. It'll be a lot harder at first but as long as you don't try to decipher some really hard stuff you should be OK. Try The Offspring or Green Day first (or whatever stuff your into, just choose the easiest song). I've been playing for about a year and 4 months and I started out learning from tabs and I think that's set me back quite a lot. I'm only just starting to learn stuff by ear now. If you do it from the start it'll be a lot easier I think.

That's all I have to say.
  19. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Thanks guys, so do you know any reliable brand of patch cord thats less prone to having noise, and wont burn a hole in my tiny moneyless pocket? (i.e the monster cables). Thanks for the info Tom

PS: Sorry for all the questions, its just hard to get accurate information over the phone with stores, and the boards seem to really active, I'm loving it already! :- )