I'm a tired guitar player looking to switch to bass - reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by optikill, Aug 4, 2003.

1. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I know it's been said already, but I will say it again. Start with a four banger, and this is why; it will get you out of that guitar mentality. No offense to my brethren that play 6 or more strings, but for a guitar convert like yourself, if you go that route you may just feel that you are playing an oversize guitar. Since you are looking to convert that may not be such a good idea. Playing bass requires a completely different mind set than playing guitar. Start with a four Bro'!

2. well. i play 5 and 6 strings, and i started upright when i was a wee lad. it appears in your post that you are insinuating that people who play 6 strings started on guitar and have a guitar mentallity. is this meant to offend someone as myself? i can strum a few open chords on a guitar mind you, but my playing a 6 string bass has nothing to do with my ability to strum these chords. i surely don't strum open chords on my 6 string bass. i think the fact that both a standard guitar and the 6 string both have '6' strings is merely coincidental and they're in no way related.

here's a better suggestion.. instead of playing a bass with 4 strings to get out of the guitar 'mentallity', play a 5 or 6 if you like and learn the meat and potatoes of theory and the rich history that is bass, both upright and electric. then the number of strings becomes irrelevant. an instrument is merely a vehicle by which one can communicate the language that is music. does the number of strings on the instrument affect one's ability to speak this language for the worse or better? it seems that one would be better off learning the language in an in depth manner as opposed to worrying about irrelevant physical attributes of the instrument itself. dig?

3. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    I was browsing the TB for sale forum - would a Roscoe L3005 fit my bill or no? I've never played one, but they seem to be fairly respected...???

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    WOW!! Shut Down!! :D . Great Post man, GREAT POST!

5. who are you talking to? Who is banger? Why did you create an entire thread to tell some guy named banger to get a 4 string? Who are you?

6. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    This is what happens when you push buttons when you are tired and not terribly with it. This was supposed to be a reply to another thread started by a new member that is a guitar convert and wants to switch to bass, hence my advice. This is not geared to anyone that started with the bass to begin with. Sorry cephas45, I was not trying to offend you, or anyone else for that matter. Please forgive my clumsiness everyone.

7. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I know it's been said already, but I will say it again. Start with a four banger, and this is why; it will get you out of that guitar mentality. No offense to my brethren that play 6 or more strings, but for a guitar convert like yourself, if you go that route you may just feel that you are playing an oversize guitar. Since you are looking to convert that may not be such a good idea. Playing bass requires a completely different mind set than playing guitar. Start with a four Bro'!

8. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Your mentality is like your S*xual orientation!! You are born with IT!! Its in the heart, not in the mind.

I have played guitar, and keys but my heart is always with the bass. Look at people like sting and Paul M. They play guitar, they sing but they are still bassplayers

Start with a 24 fret 5 string! its the only bass you will need. No need to detune, only 5 semitones less notes than a 24 fret 6 string. Great for people with small hands since you can play the E,F,G etc on the B string which is easier on the hands.

Get the 5!!

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    FYI: you can fix all this yourself

1. Copy your post text and go put it in a reply in the thread you meant to post it in

2. Delete this thread: click the "edit" button on your first post in this thread, then check "delete" and hit the button. voila.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't think the number of strings is a particuarly important factor. Before 5 string, 6 string (and beyond) basses became more widely available, I'm sure there were plenty of guitarists who picked up 4 string basses and treated them like they were still playing a guitar.

There are plenty of physical cues that will remind anyone that a six string bass is not the same as a six string guitar - and since optikill clearly wants to move from a guitar role to a bass role, I don't think that will be a problem. He's pretty much out of the "guitar mentality" as it is, based on what has been posted.

The main issue will be string spacing - the more strings, the more likely that the gap between will be smaller. Try a few four string basses... but it won't necessarily hamper your development as a bassist to start on something with more strings.

Wulf