1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm about 6 months away from forming The Mark Fowler band!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Funkee1, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    I play in about 3 to 4 different bands here in El Paso, TX, and I am starting to realize that, although they are all pretty damn good bands, all of them are close, but none of them quite hit the mark of what I want to do!

My problem, other than fear, is that I don't know if there is a viable market for what I am thinking.

I'm a big funk/R&B head, and I also dig jazz/ Smooth jazz. But I'm also into rock, Neo-soul, hip hop, and singer/songwirter stuff, like John Mayer, Gavin DeGraw.....you get the picture!

Now, I am also into comedy...... So I am imagining a band that encompasses all of that, both musically, and from a show perspective. The closest thing I can think of to what I'm picturing is "Yo Momma's Big Fat Booty", and they really aren't that close either.

What do you think? I can sing, although I'm no one's American Idol or Voice champion, but for what I'm thinkiong of doing, one doesn't need to be Luther Vandross! I'm thinking Morris Day type tunes, mixed in with the Gavin/ John Mayer type stuff, and then goofy songs like Blurred lines and Get Lucky, Party Rock Anthem, and the like!

Again, what say you? Can this be done? Think there's a market for it?

2. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    You should be doing what you want to do.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Any venues in El Paso that already mix comedy and music?

Usually people are sitting down when listening to a comedy routine and standing up when dancing. :smug:

What type of venues do expect to be your market?

I think much more market research needs to be done before you put a lot of effort into your project.

Imagine if you were an agent booking bands for local venues. Where would you book your project band?

Also consider the mix of tunes...what age group/audience wants to hear really danceable tunes mixed in with smooth jazz? Maybe at a wedding? Still, a wedding band is a different business altogether.

Good luck.:bassist:

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    We play music at a local comedy club sometimes, and have had a lot of fun doing it.

This is a very LOOOOONG video of sort of the "best of" the shows we've been on.

At the 43 minute mark, there is a guy who goes by "Paddy G" on the Bob and Tom show, his name is Pat Godwin. He does sort of a musical comedy act, and on this show, he used us in it a bit.

I think music and comedy go together really well, but you have to find the audience. The place where we do these shows, (Snickerz, Fort Wayne,) does pretty well.