Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm about to enter the world of real bass!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Matt Till, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Howdy Ya'll,

This is my first post over in the double bass section, but it probably won't be my last. I am currently an art major over at Edinboro University in PA, but I'm strongly considering an music major with a focus in, of course, bass. But it can not be an electric bass which I currently play, it has to be an double bass. So this brings me to you guys and gals. Got any websites I could check out with info about double basses and places to buy double basses that won't completely break me. Thanks for your time.

2. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I found myself in the same position as you when I was entering college. In my opinion the first thing you should do is contact the bass professor at the college and let him/her know of your situation. Hopefully they will let you sign up for lessons next semester or maybe let you start coming by and taking them this semester without getting credit. It depends on the college as to how open they are for taking on students with little or no prior experience on DB, as it really is an entirely different instrument than electric bass. If the school already has a lot of bass students they might not be too willing to take you on but find out! It would be pretty weird for the school to expect you to have your own bass right now, I'm sure if they have a bass program they have basses for the students to practice on and use for recitals.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I wrote to the head of the music department earlier to get a little bit of information on what I should do and to point me in the right direction. I would be able to rent a double bass, but it has been a goal of mine to some point in my life to own a double bass, I was expecting me to be like 30 when I got one, but 19 sounds cool to me. And if they don't take me on, I can get a general feel of the DB and take my core classes or even my general music ed. classes.