I'm about to go buy some YES but I have no clue what to buy! Help needed fast!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Is there a boxed set or greatest hits that will give me a good introduction? I"m looking for hte Yes with the best bass playing and best overall everything. Help me! I'm leaving in an hour or so.
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Man, I think there are some Yes' greatest hits releases, but to me, "Fragile" is their magnum opus. "The Yes Album" is great also, and "Yessongs" is a live double cd set which greatly documents that era. The sound quality in this recording is very raw, BTW, and I love that!
  3. Close to the Edge is great, the song of the same name is excellent and Siberian Khatru is also very good. The whole CD is 3 tracks and still clocks in over 35 minutes! Good stuff.
  4. Start with Fragile, then upgrade to Close to the edge, then pick your way through the rest.
  5. I of course started with Tales of Topograhic Oceans, and of course im messed up on the inside now, but im also an massive Yes fan.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Close to the Edge
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Of course what these other guys suggested but also..

I highly recommend the "Keys To Ascension" DVD.
    Not only does it give you a good sample of a lot of their greatest music but you also get to see them, and the sound is superb with Squire's 'spot on' performance coming through loud and clear.
    2.5 hours of music AND video for $20.
  8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Avoid ANYTHING with Steve Howe playing on it. I'd start with 90125, then on to Big Generator and anything else with Trevor Rabin.
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Don't listen to the bash on Howe (which I'm hoping was just a joke). In the early to mid 70's Steve Howe was voted 'Overall Best Guitarist' in Guitar Player magazine for 5 years in a row, it must have been for a reason..
  10. I am a huge Yes fan, have been since I was 10 years old.

I think their best records are 1970-1974:
    the Yes Album
    Close to the Edge

I know Tales from Topographic Oceans was in there, but don't start with that one! It may scare you off of Yes! (It was kind of a controversial album at the time; double album, 4 songs. Either you love it or you hate it)

Also, Going for the One is very good.

From a purely bass perspective, I'd say Relayer is Chris' best effort (just barely)
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Listening to Yes yesterday on my mp3 player has put me in a Yes mood...after all these years, I think I'm finally gonna go for Yessongs(back in the day, it was THREE LPs).
    So, I was checking Amazon for prices & reviews(of Yes DVDs. Too bad the early ones, WITH STEVE HOWE, are not of 'better' film quality).

Some 'expert' picked Close To The Edge as the #1 Yes album(can't really blame him; "Siberian Khartu" rocks...sorta) ;)
    His spin on Fragile?
    "...has their best songs, but the solo pieces reek of 'filler' material". Whatever...Fragile was the 1st Yes album I bought(cool cover...I wasn't sure what I was buying, but "Roundabout" threw me for a loop).

This same guy had high marks for Going For The One. Honestly, I am not familar with that one...at all(was released back in a certain time frame when I did not listen to anything but Jazz & R&B/Soul/Funk. My loss).
  12. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It's no joke man. To my ears, Howe sounds like stale cat poop rattling in a tin can.
  13. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

haha... Yes without Steve Howe... a sad thought indeed

anyways, get Yessongs, it's got all the songs from CTTE, and all the good stuff from Fragile and TYA. Plus it just sounds so beautifully "70's" :D

otherwise I'd say The Yes Album, cuts like Starship Trooper, I've Seen All Good People and Yours Is No Disgrace are Yes at their very best :bassist:
  14. Steve Howe is my favorite guitarist......................
  15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's blasphemy, man.
  16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  17. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004

Yessongs totally rocks my socks. Yes Album is soooo lovely. The studio versions of those songs are touching.

Steve Howe is one of my favourite guitarists too.
  18. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Man, I just don't see why more people don't like Trevor Rabin. IMO, he had such a better ear, better sound, and better taste.

So what the person getting into Yes should do is get Close to the Edge and 90125 first, to hear the best of the two eras.
  19. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I was wrong about when Steve Howe was voted 'overall best guitarist' five years in a row, it was 1977-1981.

Another good YES album that hasn't been mentioned is "Tormato". It seems to get overlooked a lot but I've always been very fond of it.

So here's 'my' list of essential YES releases:

Close To The Edge
    The Yes Album
    Tales from Topographic Oceans
    Going For The One
    Keys To Ascension - DVD
    Symphonic Yes - DVD

Don't get me wrong..I liked them with Trevor Rabin, bought the albums, learned a lot of the songs, and saw them live with Trevor several times, but I was so happy when Howe got back with them (and Wakeman too!). A lot of people like to carry on about Bruford (and he deserves the props), but White's a great drummer and he doesn't get near the recognition he deserves IMO.
  20. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Here is my heart
    Waiting for you
    Here is my soul
    I eat at chez nous