1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm about to go get a 6 string from Rondo's. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 30, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I live an hour away from the store. The store guy over the phone said that they have 6 string SX Basses in which I'm interested in.

The only thing on there website are Brice Basses. http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitar6.html

Can you guys school me on SX 6 string Basses. Perhaps post some pics or something so I know what to look foward to when I get there.

2. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Where are all of the SX Bass guys at?

3. maybe the guy you talked to meant to say brice?

4. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Unless something changed very recently, SX does not make a 6, only Brice (there was a Douglas at one point, but I haven't seen that lately).

Brice makes the HXB406 which is a decent entry level bass. They're fairly light-weight, have an extremely thin quilted top and decent hardware. The pups are okay, but the pots generally get pretty noisy after a fairly short period of time. But the noise is only when turning the knobs, once set the pots are quiet.

The newer Defiant bass is really just an HXB406 with a different body shape, more contoured and certainly nicer appearance (IMO), the top is a fairly decent chunk of bubinga. As best as I can tell, the electronics are the same as the HXB406 .....

The top of the line are the Prestige Z basses, both neck-throughs and bolt-ons. These basses are many steps above anything else Rondo has in terms of quality and construction. But they're some big boys, with wide 19mm string spacing and a fairly hefty Fender-esque style body. I like the Z's a lot, and I'm planning on getting another one really soon as my primary back-up to the other ERB's. I had a cool Z6NT that I sold a while ago (should have kept it :crying: ), and I've been using an HXB406 as my backup. The Z is miles ahead in built quality and playability.

If you're going to the shop, check out the demo stock .... they have some great pricing discounts at times. Be sure to look at the small floor display that'll be right in front of you when you walk in the store ..... sometimes they have amazing deep discounted stuff there and it's really easy to walk right by it ....... :cool: