I'm about to just give up...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay, so. I've been trying to figure out what to do ampwise for a while now; and I haven't been able to find anything I'm really happy with.

I'm thinking about just buying a direct box, some in-ear monitors, and calling it quits.

What I currently have is:
    Epi T-610
    Aguilar GS410
    QSC Plx3002
    Avalon U5

I'm using a Bongo for a bass.

It's like I can never find a happy medium. I've roughly figured that, if I sold everything, I could come up with about $2300 or so. I'm going to college next year, and will have to get something to accomodate a dorm room (even if it's just a tascam or headphone amp). As far as musical stying, I play mostly rock. Kind of Oasis meets Led Zeppelin meets Coldplay if that makes sense. Along with that, I've been writing a substantial amount of solo material.

I gig twice a week, and practice God knows how many times. As far as what I'm up against... (ugh) two Marshall half-stacks, and a Fender combo (the model escapes me).

I'm thinking about either a combo or maybe a 112 stack. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as things to try out. The cheaper, the better really. Whatever money I save is going straight toward either a Valenti or a Sadowsky.

This is my last resort.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sometimes, all that rack gear can be too much. Sometimes, having my sansamp is too much for me. I never realized how much time I was spending setting up until I just plugged in my amp, and played. Bass to amp to speakers. I think a simplification here would be a great thing for you.

I use a GK 1001RB head, and a 4x8 at home, and a 4x10 at church. I would recommend getting a smallish head with good power (the new GK's are even more powerful), a 410 for the big stuff, and a 110 or 112 for your home practice. I mean, I couldn't use a rack rig for home practice. Just wouldn't work for me.
  3. Is it your sound by yourself you don't like? With the band? Both?

R U EQing your sound a lot?
  4. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't mind it so much with the band. When I'm by myself, I have a hard time dialing in what I'm looking for. The Avalon pre isn't really very EQ friendly (IMO) with 10 presets. I do some EQ'ing on my bass; but it's to make up for the lack thereof with the pre.

I just want something that, dare I say, I can stick with for a long time. I've always had a soft spot for GK. My first head was a 400RB-III. I still regret selling it.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The Gk is the first and only REAL bass amp I have had. Never really had the money to buy another, and never needed to. It does everything I need it to, and has never lacked for features. It's DI is wonderful, and it has a level control. Not many amps have that. Also, with ground lift and Post EQ, you have options. Really, for me, there is not a better bass amp out there. I use everything on the head (except for biamping) and never lack for anything.
  6. I'm in a similar situation where I'll be selling my rig to buy something that will accomodate a dorm room. There's a lot of really solid combos out there. If you're looking to have a small rig, you can look into dr. bass stuff and get an airhead cab if you want a couple rack spaces for an amp and tuner. As far as combos go, SWR has some pretty good stuff, I tried an SWR Redhead and was very impressed (though it took me awhile to find a good sound between its controls and an L2000). I've always been impressed with Eden, I know they have excellent stuff. I found that I was most interested in 12" speakers, I think they sound fantastic. I guess it's all just try whatever you can find and see what you come up with.
  7. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    I say keep your big rig! After all, you need desks and end tables in your dorm room, right? 4x10s are great for that!
  8. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've toyed with the idea of using it as a twin bed...
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Except for the fact that if you ever need to use a floppy disk (who des anymore) you'll never want to put them on your desk. Same goes for a computer in general. :p
  10. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm extremely fond of the EA Wizzy cabinets. I use either one or two (soon to be three), depending on the volume needs. I use an Acoustic Image head, but also really like Eden and EA heads. The Wizzys only weigh about 30 pounds, the AI head is 3, and Eden and EA both have good heads at around 15 pounds on up. The cool thing to me about these three makers is that (imho, of course) they have a great sound with the EQ flat. It takes *very* little tweaking to dial in my sound.

A big disclaimer is that I really don't do rock anymore (not that I wouldn't ... just not in that situation anymore), so I'm not competing against the things you are ...

Good luck!
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    These types of threads make me like my iAMP even more. One piece of gear with one cable. Plug it in and start playing. Oh so simple....

12. Actually... i want to point out that it's SOOO intimidating to have a large stack in your dormroom and quite empowering when it's THE largest thing when u walk in. I highly recommend NOT downsizing. It's even better when u live with a bunch of musicians too. Unfortuantely this pic doesn't include the El Whappo/Schroeder/or our gibson brigade of geetars... but you get the point....

EDIT - I was side tracked... I actually was pissed with my sound for a while before finding accugroove, good and loved it.. but everyonce in a while i'd say to myself i can make this better... it's interesting when you find the weekpoint.

Attached Files:

13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So at this point, I'm looking at a lot of GK stuff. I'm also thinking about checking out Accugroove. I really like the Tri-210L; but there isn't any place near me that I can play the cabs...
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have gone through a dozen rigs in the last couple years. I finally realized that for the gigs I do (and no studio work) I didn't need to go crazy. People in bars and clubs don't really care what gear you use. In many cases you're going into the Brand Z PA anyway.

That said, it is nice to have a good sounding rig for smaller and stand alone gigs and you could get a nice little rig for $2,300. I use a programmable SansAmp BDDI for a preamp/DI, a AI Focus SA power amp and a Bergantino HT112 cab. I think it cost me about $1,600. Very portable, light and sounds great.

Here's a suggestion for you. Sell everything but the Avalon U5. It's a great preamp and DI. Buy one of the new Bergantino powered cabs - like the IP112. 1,000 watts, 45 pounds, DSP, 12" driver. Use your Avalon U5 as a preamp and DI and you're set.
  15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I picked up a small used Eden WT300 for about 400 bucks
    off of another TB'er. Small, powerful, lightweight. Plug and
    play. Lots of features. Nice EQ. I have gotten lots of compliments on my tone since I got it.

I have used it with both a 4 ohm 2x12 or am 8 ohm 4 x10 and it is perfect for a full band with small to medium rooms. It is not The Destroyer, however. My band is not that loud

For punishing volume I add a second 4x10 and bridge a
    SWR SM900. Adding the 2x12 to one side and the 2 4x10's
    to the other side is a fun way to try to crack cement

A good used SWR 900 ran me 600. You can also get
    a GK 1001RB from Rik's Music for about 600 + shipping.

I built the 2x12 for 180 or so, the 4x10 used cost me 175,
    so I got small, medium and large covered with great EQ
    possibilities for under 1500.

The SM 900 is heavier, but at 18 or so lbs, the Eden
    packs a lot of punch in a little box.
  16. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    actually, rik's has free shipping on orders over $99. if i was you, i'd abandon the idea of a monster stack in your dorm room - assuming you are not on the ground floor and already know your roommate will be cool with it, there's also the fact that no one has ever complained that their dorm room is too big, and unless your ra is really cool, you'l never get to use it anyways... check out 1x12 cabs. you can get the aggies, edens, bergies, even the new neo gk's... get an amp that can handle at least 4 ohms (so you can use 2+ of them) and you have a portable, loud rig. you can even get an iamp combo. i also wouldn't go too nuts with getting the bet gear you can afford- a)there's plenty of other things to spend your $$$ on in college (beer) and b)if you're going to be playing house parties and stuff, you don't want some idiot destroying your boutique cab. and any decent sized place will have a pa to play through anyways... the idea of using your cabs as furniture is great except (as was already mentioned) no computers and no tvs on top of it because of the magnets... get something small and loud- if your needs change, you can always take out more student loans ;)
  17. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Accugroove Tri210L is what I'm looking at most extensively at the moment. It's not small... but it's not huge. If I were to get something like it, I'd most likely end up selling the Aguilar cab as well.

I'm looking for something that will cut through any mix, as I will be playing extensively throughout college. As well as recording.

As far as the dorm room goes, a Cafe Walter headphone amp wouldn't be bad. Then again, neither would a 110 or 112 cab...
  18. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    If you like Zepplin sound maybe try some tubes. As soon as I started using them I was hooked. I can't go back to SS amps
  19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Keep whichever of the big cabs you like better, sell the rack gear and buy a nice used head (like the GK, or an Eden), and get a Cafe Walter, some Sennheiser 555s, and an iPod for practicing :bassist:

Only problem with using a cafe walter is that you'll wish your live amps could sound as good.
  20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Actually a 110 would drive everyone else in your dorm building nuts, let alone your roommate. And I'm sure there will be quiet hours. Headphone amp all the way.