Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm about to kill my Mutron III+

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Mutron III+ overdrives when i'm playing anywhere on rhe g string and anything higher than the 9th fret. I have a 24V adapter. this happens with both my stingray and my jazz. i haven't been palying shows in a year so the only amp i have is a GK backline 12 that i use as a practice amp. could it be the amp? it sounds pretty damn good when it's not overdriving though.....

:mad: Mutron III+ your days are numbered unless someone here can save you!!!!!!! :mad:

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I'm pretty sure the adapter for the III+ (like the III) should be 18VDC, not 24VDC. Have you checked this out?

Mike

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    it came with a 24v......and someone on this board mentioned that a 24v opposed to a lower voltage may give you more headroom and reduce the overdrive....

:mad: It's not looking good for you Mutron III+!!!!!!! :mad:

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Have you tried it with a 18VDC adapter or maybe just batteries, just to test it.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah batts do the same thing.......i may try lower voltage...........

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Is there some type of internal input gain you could adjust?

Under the hood?

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    How old is it?

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i have no skills for that type of procedure. :) unless it's easy....

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

brand spankin new......3 months or so...

:mad: How does it feel to know you're about to die Mutron III+!!!!!!! :mad:

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i read about a guy on here that mentioned the same problem.....no solutions though

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Mabey it is because the newer HAZ modles are quite porely made, and are a mear representation of the original... Also is your jazz active as well?.. Because if so, that is why... HAZ designed them to be for guitar mostly, and thus overdriving of the IC's can ocur... Same thing goes for a few other devices - such as the original OC-2 Octaver (the one made in japan)... If you want to use effects you ahve to use passive basses, or buy one of my tone soap pedals ;) ...

...Alex

ps. but seriously I would never buy a HAZ model...

12. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    my jazz is passive.......it overdrives as much as the active ray.

i thought the mutron was made for the bass!!!! what gives!!! i know it's a rip-off so let's not go there.

13. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Wait a minute ..... the Hazlabs devices are *not* poorly made, and they are *not* made 'mostly' for guitar. Where did you get your information from, Alex? They *do* use surface-mount components and a FET module instead of the optical arrangement of the MutronIII, but the circuit is (for all intents and purposes) the same, i.e. works equally well for guitar or bass depending on the range selection. In terms of distortion and headroom, a +/-12V supply with opamps should provide ample headroom for just about all normal playing conditions. I mention the 24V supply originally because I did a net search and found a Hazlabs 18V adapter - also, the original MutronIII used an 18V adapter, and the MutronIII clones I've built also have used 18V.

BB, I'd be pleased to take a look at your MutronIII, sans charge, if you cover shipping to and from Australia ... let me know....

Mike

14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Sorry man, just stating my opinion I guess... I have played both the originals and the HAZ, and I just didn't like the thinness of the Haz. And I thought they clearly state that this divice was made for guitar (the original musitronics modle sure as hell wasn't intended for bass, but it sure did work well...)... But again I may be wrong, and if so I am sorry...

In my opinion (again), if you want the mutron sound but don't want to shell out the cash for the original there are many fine clones out there - that do not look like the original...

Emma Discombobulator
    Chunk systems Agent 00funk
    to name a couple...

sorry if I offended you dude, I didn't mean to...

Alex

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    :mad: Mutron III+ prepare to die !!!!!!!:mad:

16. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I know this may sound crazy, but have you tried another amp? I had a wah peddle that distorted if I pushed it too hard, and I thought for years that it was busted. I took it into a shop, and the guy told me to try another amp. I had since upgraded everything that I had, and lo and behold, it did not distort through the newer amp that I had. I have no idea why this happened...I don't think that it was overloading the input of the one amp or anything. Worth a try I guess though....

17. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Some wah pedals increase the ohmage of your output quite significantly, my shin ei jumps it up by a 1/3...

Alex

18. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    It's cool and I'm not offended ... no reason to be! :) It is better karma to go after a Q-tron or Q-tron+ anyways (Mike Biegel, designer of the MutronIII, had some input into those) ... or one of those other options.

MutronIII+ I'll save you!!!!! :D

Mike

19. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah like i said i just have a GK backline 12 as a practice amp right now...not the best amp...i thought it may be that myself....maybe the local music store will give me a go....

20. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    actualy, another vote for the q-tron... But they do not always like active basses... Just a warning....

Alex