1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

im about to order a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dontdrinkthatwi, May 15, 2006.

1. dontdrinkthatwi

dontdrinkthatwi

May 15, 2006
    i'm going to order my first bass from musiciansfriend.com my price range is under $240 what kind of should i get

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't bother. Go look at www.rondomusic.net. You get a lot more for your buck, there.

3. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    I got an olp music man for 199$ from there. it plays great/sounds good. there made by music man;but a cheeper product( finish/fret dressing/electronics/cheepo pots).

4. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    Actually, they're made by OLP under liscence from Musicman. No other real connection between the companies.

5. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    yes akrein62; but I've had a couple of long time & multiple music man owners play mine and thought it was the real deal! there that good.It's not a 1,200$ musicman but a good knock off.

6. I say go for an SX bass at rondomusic.com. They cant do you any wrong...

7. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try some basses out at Guitar Center and then order it if you must. But BEWARE...instruments in that price point are not very consistent and should be played before they are bought.

Personally I don't buy instrument at any price that I don't play first.

Also, an online purchase will have to be shipped through probably at least a few different states(depending on where you live) and see a a couple climate changes which it will react to. If you buy a guitar locally, it will either be set up at the store or you can get them to adjust it to your liking. This is especially true if you buy from an independently owned store where they actually appreciate their customers. You will also have a relationship with the store and you will be wanting to frequent it now that you are a bass player.

Liking your instrument is very important when starting out(and all stages of playing). If you aren't compatible you might end up quitting prematurely. If you find something that you're in love with, you'll pick it up more often and your playing will be that much better.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I always hate questions like these, how are we to know what instruments are right for you?

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1!

exactly. Maybe first give some info about your musical tastes and whatnot so we can give you some tips.

Basically, the best thing to do is to go to your local store and try some out to get an idea of what you like.

That said, I do have one suggestion: Get a Jazz bass from Rondomusic.net. They have great looking, sounding, and feeling instruments for the price, and the jazz bass is (IMO) a great choice for a beginner because of the versatility. Don't spend too much money, because as you grow as a player your tastes will change and you'll later get a better idea of what is good for you.