Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im about to order a dp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderboy, Sep 28, 2002.

1. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    Hey well ive spoken to that dave guy. I gave him my specs this is what i want

amobyna burl top , with a claro walnut back. Active electronics with a passive/active switch. 4 strings. emg humbuckers not sure on wich ones yet. black hardware including hipshot tuners and bridge. number 2 headstock happy face inlays :) 24 frets. 3 piece neck. birdseye maple fretboard. just wondering if there is anything i should add like that would be convinient to have i know most people put alot of switches on theres like for the passive/active and leds and to turn your bass off or something anymore switches or something that would be convinent. dave said this is going to come out to about 1,300 is that a good price what have some you peeps paid for yours?

thanks for your time

2. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    Oh by the way its going to be fretless. but i was thinking i dont want a maple fretboard with the amboyna body any ideas dont want rose wood either.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  4. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    cool yours looks great
    my body is being modled half of the standard body he makes and then the extension part like the carl thomsons curve nut thing.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I am actually thinking of having a matched fretless made. For fretboard, I would go with Macascar (striped) Ebony, just love the way it looks, or maybe wenge - it doesn't look all that great, but it sounds awesome.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No disrespect - but I think you have a lot of homework to do before ordering a custom bass unless you want to leave most of the decisions up to "that Dave guy."

Not that he won't try to give it a fine effort - I think he will.

But woods, pickups, and switches just scratch the surface.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Good advice.;)

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very much so. I wanted to go custom untill it gave me such a headache just thinking about all that goes into a custom bass. At this point, I don't think I would order something from scratch.

9. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    oh ive done my homework. i just didnt feel like posting all the details so i just posted the big things like body how many strings and what wood.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Same here. And it helps that I have found something from a manufacturer that does everything I want it to. So I decided against taking the risk of going the custom route, where you don't know if you are going to like what you get.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I can understand where you all are coming from.

I've learned more about the janka hardness of woods, grain runout, pickup wire differences, and Q factor, blah blah, than I ever wanted to know.

Once I got into it, it was like quicksand for me.

12. Fenderboy,
    one switch I added at the 11th hour was an on/off switch. I wish I had thought of it sooner, because Dave had to squeeze it in there, but he did a good job.
    with the on/off switch, I can leave it pluged in without running down the battery.
    Hey BTW I don't think Dave like's people posting the prices, you may want to go back and edit your post out of respect. Just my humble opinion.