1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm about to order a new bass and amp, but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rkejeepin, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I can't make up my mind. I'm purchasing a Skyline 55-02 deluxe and I am trying to decide which route I want to go for my amp. I'm looking at 2 combos - Markbass CMD 121H and SWR Workingpro 2x10c.

I'm also considering a poweramp (crown xls1000) and VT bass deluxe, but would like opinions on a good cab. $950 - 1000 is my budget for an amp.

Thoughts?

I'm going through Musician's Friend to take advantage of the $200 gift certificate deal they have ending today.

Thanks for any help!

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry, I can't really help you too much with your dilemma. I just wanted to say "nice choice" on a bass. Love those basses.
    As far as amps.... well, I don't know. You may want to look into a GK 700RBII head and match it with a nice cab. That's one, fairly inexpensive head that absolutely kills, IMHO!

3. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    What you can expect in response to your inquiry is recommendations on thirty or forty other amps that you aren't considering buying.

So, if you're really down to those two, I will not muddy the waters. I use a Markbass CMD 121P as my full-time gigging amp. It sounds killer and is plenty loud for most of the venues we play. For outdoor gigs I've hooked up an 8-ohm extension cab and tapped all 500w... crazy loud. For most pubs/bars of the size we play (50-200 patrons), I never have the combo by itself turned up past halfway. The EQ section is very good and can cure most problems I find with the rooms we play in. And the two filters allow you to dial in whatever flavor you like for your genre of music, from heavily mid-scooped for slap, to more mid-heavy and "vintage" for fingerstyle.

And, it's 29 lbs.

Killer bass choice, BTW. That's a fine and versatile instrument.

4. The Lakland came yesterday and I love how it feels and plays! I still don't have an amp though. lol

Can someone help or offer an opinion please? I ordered a Crown XLS1000 Drivecore along with a VT Bass Deluxe yesterday. I still need to get a cab, but I want to be sure that I match it up well with the power amp so that I don't screw anything up (clueless about this stuff).

Someone in another thread suggested running the power amp bridged at 700w and getting a good 8 ohm cab. I was checking out those Markbass 104HF cabs. Would these serve me well in this setup?

Thanks a lot for any help!