Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im about to order an acme B4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by venezuelanbass, Jan 14, 2004.

1. have heard unbeliable quantities of good reviews, what do you guys think about em

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search, and you'll see LOTS of great reviews. i personally love mine, and cant think of what i'd do without it.

also, just be sure you're wearing diapers before your first run with the B4. ;)

3. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

...and another thing...give it some time to break in. Don't slam it volume wise too quickly. These things put out some serious lows, and it seems to get better with age!

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    They rule! I've been using a pair of Low-B2s for over 4 years, with an SWR Grand Prix preamp, originally pushed by a Mackie M1400 but now upgraded to a QSC PLX 3002 for less weight and more headroom. Give it 1000-2000W RMS and you will be a very happy bunny!

Alex

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Following various complaints about inspecific advice let me put it another way - they have flatter response than any other bass cab I've heard by a huge margin. Like listening to your bass through big studio monitors.

The downside is that every mistake you make will come through loud and clear. The upside is that none of the nuances of your phrasing and subtle tonal details will be lost.

Alex

6. I love my B-4!!! It would have to be pried from my cold dead hands before I would part with it. I know you're not in the US so I'll reiterate some of the things already said-

1. Make sure you break in the speakers before cranking the volume!

2. Make sure you have enough power (1000 watts minimum @ 4 ohms).

With proper power and "break-in" time the Low B-4 will absolutely blow your mind. I have been continually impressed with mine (for 8 months now) every time I use it. Please let us know how you like it!

7. Very well spoken, Alex. I completely agree with your post.

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    soo 500 into a 2x10 is ample?

9. Howdy, Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. I've had two of the Acme Low B 2 series II speakers for almost 3 years. Everything you've heard is absolutely true. I considered the B4 but have been very happy with the flexiblity afforded by having 2 separate cabinets. I can put one by me and the other over by the drummer, or the lead guitar. I also run my rig in stereo, and the stereo chorus and stereo delay is awesome with the cabinets spread out on both sides of the stage. Which ever way you go, just give them lots of power, and break them in. You will be a happy camper. Happy trails.

10. Chaputa

Yup 500+ is a good round number for the 2x10. I'm using ~540 and it is sweet!

11. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I was wondering if you fellas could weigh in with your own specific ideas and recommendations for "breaking in" the Acmes, as I'm sure everyone's formula is different and they'd certainly be worth detailing in this thread.

Lonnybass
    www.theparamours.com

12. Chaputa

I have GT-6B that I looped the low b vibrating from an ebow...and ran that for a few hours at low volume, and then worked my way up volume wise. I probably did this for 3-4 hours before playing with a group. Even after all that, the speaker opened up more after a few practices...

Just take your time...don't rush the break-in period...

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    chap,

hmm, interesting idea. i shoulda tried that with the looper in my Line6 DM.

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    joker.. how would you compare b2's against epifani 2x10's?

15. well i have an ampeg svt 4 pro, i think the acme will work swell with it

what do you guys mean by "breaking in the speakers"??

16. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I have a pair of Low B-II's. For break-in I set them up in my music room and played cds through them for 8+ hours. As the day went on, I increased the volume. The following day I spent 3-4 hours playing through them at a reasonable volume, concentrating on the lower register. I then used them at several practices before bringing them out for full club duty.

I typically use an amp with 700 watts available per channel, but I've never come close to needing that amount of volume.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Andy recommends you dont put a lot of power into them until they have been played at softer volumes for a bit. The cones he uses are stiffer than most and need to be loosened up before they can perform 100%. The major reason is that if you take the brand new cab with the stiff cones and crank the volume, the cones may crease easily.

18. i see...ill take Kindness`s take on the break in into full consideration, thx alot dude, excuse my ignorance, but like as soon asi i play it cosiderably from low volumes to high, i wont have to do that again right?

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah, once they are broken you can crank it up. Those cabs put out some incredible lows.

20. Chaputa

Once they're broken in, they're broken in. Won't have to do it again...