I'm about to play my first half recital in college 2 hours.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Henri Gross, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Henri Gross

Henri Gross

Sep 22, 2018
    Just as post says. I'm a junior year double bass performance major in a conservatory out East right outside of DC, and I'm about to play my first recital. Technically it's a half recital so it's only about 30 minutes long, but still, a recital is a recital. I'm super nervous, so to take my mind off of things I'm kind of just putting this here. Feel free to ignore this post, or just scroll past. Just trying to unwind my nerves.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm even nervous about, just sort of getting light chested and breathing is a thing. Woohoo!

Sorry about the long post, carry on!

2. Good luck to you! Nerves are simply our bodies getting us ready for an important task. You’ll do great!

MDrost1 likes this.
  3. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Relax! It will go well!

Once you start, the notes will appear naturally. Don't over think it.

When I was studying piano, I was always very nervous for recitals and evaluations, it was terrible. When I started, I tried to forget about the environment and pretend I was at home.

Good luck!

MDrost1 likes this.
  4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Wishing the best for you.

Suggest you stay away from social media and maybe practice some more until you have it absolutely down. ( i fought this battle for the last two weeks).

MDrost1 likes this.
  5. Good luck! Let us know how you went.

MDrost1 likes this.
  6. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Worrying about it won’t help you play better. Break a leg!

MDrost1 likes this.
  7. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Everybody out there who will be listening to you is pulling for you to blow them away.

No pressure.

MDrost1 likes this.
  8. Henri Gross

Henri Gross

Sep 22, 2018
    I think I passed ?

Seanto, MDrost1, mtto and 1 other person like this.
  9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Great, I misread your OP. I didn't realize you were playing in 2 hrs. I thought you had a 2 hr recital!!

I am working on my english.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021