Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm afraid of my bass!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    This has never happened to me before.

I keep my MM in a gig bag. Didn't use it for 2 weeks. Opened it up at a gig, and the action kinda flipped out on me. It was about 1/4" higher all the way down the neck. Like a completely different bass. There hasn't been any major climate or temperature change - I tuned down a half step at our last gig and left it like that, but I've done that before - and other than that, I did nothing differently than I have in the past 3 years with that bass.

I did a quick setup before we played, and now I just tweaked it for today's gig - but I'm concerned that it's gonna play tricks on me again - if it settles in the opposite direction this time I'll be buzzin all over the place.

Any ideas what might have caused this?????

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Very strange,

Tuning down a half step would lower the string tension, and if the neck was going to move it should have moved in the other direction (a back bow effect), thereby causing the strings to be closer to the neck.

Having the action be higher by 1/4" is a LOT of neck movement. You mentioned that the bass sat for 2 weeks. During that time, did it have anything sitting on it? Was it leaned up against a wall?

Have you been able to straighten it out since then, and if so, has it been stable?

If it continues, (and if you're not sure how to fix it yourself...) you should take it to a guitar repair technician for them to check it out. It could be that the truss rod has come loose somehow, or moved within the pocket it sits in, etc. Hard to say without actually seeing the instrument to be able to work on it.

Hope this helps (cool site by the way!)