Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm all excited...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jazzercountry, Oct 4, 2003.

1. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've got a Christopher plywood coming my way. This one is the Concert series, 3/4, busetto corners, and comes w/ a setup, Helicore Pizz (my string) & Mooradian bag for right at 2 grand. Anyhow, I'm excited...figured I'd share the buzz with you all. Does anyone else has one of these animals? (I know several of you have the 7/8 w/ busetto's)

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Congratulations. I know you can't wait to get your hands on it.

3. Congratulations.
    You can tell everyone that Dave Brubeck's bassist uses the exact same bass.

4. Don,
    who is Dave´s bassist at the moment? I saw a concert on TV recently, and the bass chair was manned by Michael Moore...superb playing as always. I can´t recall how the bass looked like but he sounded good. But does he play woth Dave regularly, and is he playing a plywood Christopher?

R2

6. Michael Moore has been with Brubeck for a couple of years now. Exclusively, and from inception, he has used a plywood Christopher, the $2,000 model, in both concert and recording studio settings. [One exception - due to a back injury, Michael did not want to carry his bass to a concert in Louisville, so I arranged for him to borrow Chris Fitzgerald's bass. Our Durrl is too modest to mention this.]
    Michael gave the Grunert to David Gage to sell maybe 2 years ago. He has a nice, inexpensive 19th century German flatback which he rarely uses.
    I've played and recorded his Christopher. Its sound is rich and strong.

7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Okay, so it's not Michael Moore chiming in to tell you about his bass, just some hack from the sticks. But I've got the same bass 'cept with violin corners.

She's been around for about 4 months now. Very nice instrument but it did, of course, require some tweaking once I got hold of it. Sounds great (better every day), plays great, looks too shiny, but great. No complaints.

I swapped out the tailpiece/hanger wire right away because the stock pieces were crapola. Also, the gig bag that shipped with mine looked like a decent bag but the zippers packed it in after about, say, 50 open/close cycles (the bag had no accomodation for the endpin and that's what stressed the zippers, rendering the bag useless.) So, Papa had to get a brand new bag...

Congrats on your new axe, you're gonna love it.

After-the-fact-note: just noted that you got a Mooradian bag thrown in for your $2k. Way to go! Mine now travels in an A.H. Bob G bag, very happily thank you.

8. Don --

Does Mike play the Christopher on "Park Avenue South?"

9. Sorry, I don't know.

10. Don & Paul, thanks for the answers.
    Seems we could use an importer of those basses in here, too...way too difficult for me to get my hands on one.

:bawl:

R2

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Damon - according to Jeff B., the official term for such things appears to be, "Doo doo". Arnold S. backs him up on this.

12. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I stand corrected. Let me say, though, even though they were doo-doo there was no smegma on them at all.

13. GOD NO PLEASE!!!

14. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    It must be an industry term, like "frumunda".

15. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hi John,
    Actually, in Spanish it's "mierda" i'm athinkin'...