1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm almost finished customizing my G&L L2500 Tribute! Audere 3ZB Preamp On The Way!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 13, 2007.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This may seem like G&L sacrilege but I'm about to replace almost all of the electronics on my L2500 Tribute. The only stock electronics that will remain when I'm finished will be the pickups! I've been in the process of making my L2500 Tribute into the bass I want it to be.

So far I've replaced the parallel/series switch with an outer coils/parallel/inner coils switch which really opened up the tonal palette for me. The final stroke will be installing the Audere 3ZB preamp I ordered today. When all is said and done I will have the following controls:

volume/volume stack
    treble/bass stack
    midrange
    Z-mode switch (I can tell you more about this if you want)
    outer coils/parallel/inner coils switch
    250hz/500hz/860hz midrange frequency switch

The preamp will be an 18v system for greater headroom.

Apparently, when the controls are set flat, what I'll get is a clearer version of how the bass sounds in passive mode. When the controls are flat nothing will be boosted, but because the only DC - AC point is where the preamp connects to the output jack.

I'll let you know how things go, and post before/after sound clips.

2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    :eyebrow:

There needs to be a "crickets chirping" smiley...

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    no pics/no modded bass

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Ahh...

Here are a few pics, but the only outward sign of change on the finished bass will be a few stacked knobs

pict1302.
    pict1294.

Maybe I should have posted this in the "electronics" forum...

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    thats a good looking bass I like it.. Nice and clean layout.

post some samples after the swap

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! I'll post some before and after sound clips.

7. scottic2

scottic2

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Very interesting, the modifications you have made sound killer! I can't wait to hear some samples of it!

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    In my excitement about it all I started this thread too early! I'll definitely post before and after clips. I'm really curious to see how this affects the overall sound.

I think I might be the most excited about the active volume. From what I've read the volume in most preamps is passive, and so only a fraction of the pot's rotation affects the sound. With the Audere preamp the pickups are connected directly to the preamp, the volume controls are active, and the pots are logarithmic so the entire rotation of the pot affects the sound. With two pickups and two passive volumes you get three sounds - either pickup on or both - but with the active volumes the pickups blend across the whole spectrum.

We'll see sometime next week when the preamp arrives.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I notice that you have a G&L L2000. This should be interesting for you to see what can be done with a G&L, huh?

10. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    If you ever sell the Tribute preamp I want it.

11. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    You may have to change your S/N to fivestringbliss...

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Would you want the preamp and accompanying switch or the whole wiring harness? I only ask because I really screwed up a few things in the process of the wiring mods I did for the oc/p/ic switch. I first attempted to install a parallel/single coil/series switch and a concentric volume/volume pot. It didn't work and I fried the original volume pot in the process. I have replaced it with a 250k push/pull pot, which was the only pot I had on had with a long enough shaft. Everything works and the preamp itself wasn't affected, but the wiring harness is a bit of a mess.

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Out of curiosity, What was wrong with the original preamp? What made you decide to keep the pickups instead of replacing them, too?

I want to see how this turns out. Don't you love modding basses? :D *Subscribed!*

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I know. I was actually going to change my username to tonemonkey (which is my email username) but somebody beat me to it. I'm still a four-stringer at heart and sometimes regret not getting an L2000 Tribute, but I'm pretty satisfied with the L2500 I got. It's really a beautiful instrument - the body wood has really nice figuring to it and it's almost impossible to see where the two pieces are joined! I once owned a Lakland 55-01 with a three piece body and it was completely obvious where those pieces were joined!

15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Hey there! It's been a long time!

The original preamp is simply a boost circuit. Switching into active brightened and cleared things up a bit and then switching into active with treble boost boosted the treble. I didn't like the sound of either setting - too harsh to my ears.

You have an Audere preamp, don't you? I thought I had seen a thread in classifieds where you bought one.

The G&L MFD pickups are amazing! There's no way I would replace them - they're the reason I came back to G&L after I sold my last G&L. The soundguy at my church has to boost the mids of every other bass played there but he has to scoop mine. :bassist: They have such a great growl and I've been able to install a three-way coil tap switch which gives me amazing tonal variety.

In passive this is the best sounding and most versatile bass I've ever owned. Now I'm making it even better, IMHO.

I do love modding basses, but I think this the end of modding this bass. The only other thing I could see doing would be replacing the existing tuners with Hipshot Ultralites. Then it would feel completely boutique!

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I just looked at your public profile - you sold the 55-02?? I guess you didn't buy an Audere preamp, huh?

17. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey, I've got a 2500 Tribute myself, and I love the electronics, but they run VERY hot. If I have the preamp on I only turn the bass knob up about 20% of the way (which is as I understand it an 80% bass CUT) and the treble all the way up and it rumbles houses on the next block with low-end. I fear turning those knobs up all the way as it would blow my amp to shreds and disintegrate my cabinets.

I wonder if the Audere will be able to handle the HUGE amount of sound those pickups are sending into it. That said, the only thing I really am missing on my 2500 is a midrange control, so I am quite interested to see how yours sounds.

18. scottic2

scottic2

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Absolutely! It's not often that people try to improve upon the L2000/2500, but I think that the upgrades you are making sound like you may be perfecting the L2500! The stock bass is sooooo good to begin with, I am really excited to hear about this!
    Scott C

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    There are so many things I love about this bass! The bridge is great and the six-bolt neck joint. The body on mine is so resonant and the workmanship is superb. I mentioned before that the wood figuring on the body is beautiful and it's really hard to tell where the two pieces meet (I got really lucky there). Unplugged it's acoustically the best sounding bass I've ever owned and I've had some really nice ones.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I just found the tonal variety a bit limited. The pickups do run very hot and I find I leave the bass at 50% all the time. With both controls up you do get quite a rumble, but you really have a choice between thick and thicker. To my ears the preamp didn't add musicality to this bass, it just added a bit of harshness. Maybe it's my amp or my settings or my ears but I knew I could get more out of this bass.

I never used the series setting so I ditched it in favor of an outer coils/parallel/inner coils switch. Parallel is thick enough for me. Now I can go from thick to clear by changing some switches. The outer coils sound like a middy Jazz Bass. The inner coils are punchy. This past weekend at my church the sound guy preferred the sound of just the inner neck coil - he liked how punchy it was. EQ'd correctly and I haven't lost any thickness, I've just gained versatility.

I think the Audere preamp should be able to handle the output of these pups. I've spoken with the owner of the company and he owns a G&L L2000e that has one of his preamps in it. I'm really looking forward to being able to scoop the mids on the bass. The sound is too middy at around 600hz for the mix at my church. The active volumes will allow me to mix any amount of the pickups. If I find myself missing the thickness of the series setting there's always the Low Z setting on the Z-mode switch. I'm also excited about the idea that he didn't design it to color the sound at all but to clarify and open up the natural sound of the pickups.

I'm going to make before and after sound clips, but here are some that I made with my Sansamp to show the affect of the ic/p/oc switch: G&L L2500 Tribute Clips

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I know. I started a similar thread over in the G&L forum and it's conspicuously quiet over there...