I'm an electronic failure!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Aug 20, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I was wondreing why my snes game adaptort wasnt letting me play USgames on my Pal SNES when someone linked me to schematics for how to modify the machine so it would.

Anyway, I spent hours sawing the machine open (didnt have the suitable screw driver) then ages finding a resister, in the end from my bros old marshall pedal.

Finally, I started soldering 2 of the pins when I slipped and BAM!! whacked a bunch of solder over 5 of the pins. The dream was over.

I then triedto remove it with a knife, slipped and gouged out 3 channels.

I plan to reattempt it in the near future :/
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    General rule is if you don't have the right tools, go get them BEFORE you start the job.
  3. Hey at least you had a go.

Now to get rid of the excess solder. Go to radio shack and buy Solder Wick. This is a copper braid, perfect for this, you lay it across the excess solder and hold the soldering iron to it. It should suck the solder up via capillary action. Only costs $2.

Buy a handful of resistors for 5 cents. You cut three channels properly called "tracks", cut the resistor legs and use the wire to bridge across these cuts. Simple. scrape back the green of the track on either side of the cut with a sharp knife, say a scapel. It'll expose the copper. Solder onto the copper to get some solder on there. Lay the wire/resistor leg on the cut and then solder it at either end where you soldered before. Inspect under a light to ensure you didnt short anything out.

If you begin to start using too much solder and it becomes blobby, use the solder wick to remove it and try again. Be quick with soldering. No longer than 5 seconds. I tend to solder and often count. Place the iron on, 1,2 bring the solder in, 1,2 pull away.

Sounds like music really.

Print this out and use it as reference. Or Pm me with questions. ;)

4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Nice one, thanks.

I think I'll actually attempt those steps and see how it goes. The main problem is the snapped pin '30' on one of the chips but I reckon it'll be possible to attached somewire to make a new pin.

By the way, check out the schematics if you ever wanted to give it a go bvy searching google for "snes5060.htm"

PS - about 'buying the right tools', a specific screwdriver for the job (the screw heads are this shape: * ) cost $50 for one set!

Edit : forgot the link sorry!
  5. Those hex torque screws.. hmm i thnk i managed to get around a few of them with a allen set of screw bits. Can buy a cheap set of "jewellers" screw drivers from the hardware store.

Good luck! i am only a PM away.

6. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

DITTO. As an electronics student I feel your pain though. I've fubar'd some stuff.:bawl:
  7. But even if you dont have the right tools you can get by. Even modify some tools you already have.

Electronics rocks. ;)