I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 29, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Me and my friend played house show for his family, and at the end we just began goofing off. He twirled his guitar around his shoulder, so I figured I'd try the same thing. Smooth move. I flung it around and the strap fell off, flinging my bass onto the drive way a couple of feet. Needless to say, damage was suffered. A big crack in the back finish, two big scratches in th back finish, bent a strap button screw, bent the G tuner and scratched the headstock, and pulled a wire from a pot. Here are the some pics for the heck of it.
  2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That has to be one of the most incredible experiences ever. If you could capture that exact moment when you realized that you had no control over its trajectory whatsoever. Priceless!
  3. robe

Oct 19, 2003

What type of bass was it?
  4. Well, I'd expect that from a guitar player but not a bass player. :D

Congrats! You now own your first beater bass. Nothing you do to it from this point on will make any difference. You don't have to worry about dinging it or letting other people play it. You now have a stress-free instrument. Enjoy it.

- Dave
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its a MIM P-bass. I bought it used so I'm not in tears over it.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That'll learn ya (had to do it, seeing how we are both in the south)

Next time you want to do the spinning guitar flip thing, get some strap locks, or just ignore that urge :D .
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hah. Yeah. I do have straplocks on it. Dunlops. The strap came off my shoulder. It was still attached to the bass.

Heh. I'm not a quick learner. :smug: :rollno: :scowl: :bawl: ;)
  8. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    man, you are an idiot!!
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well I am sorry about the bass, but like Dave said, you don't have to worry about messing it up any more.

Look on the bright side, you now have a:

1. Got a funny story to tell
    2. A bass with battle scars or character (which you choose)
    3. A free vintaging, Fender charges an extra 500 bucks for that kind of stuff :D

Think about this for a second, I know somebody who took a screwdriver and chisel to his one-day-old American Strat, just to make it vintage looking. It is now the ugliest guitar I have ever seen, with inch deep screwdriver holes and heavily chiseled edges, and doesn't cop the vintage look at all, believe or not it looks exactly like somebody took a screwdriver and chisel to it :D Makes what you did seem absolutely brilliant by comparision. :D
  10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I was just going to mention that. :p
  11. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Funny thing is, I picked this thing up because I wanted to make it look like Mike Hererra's 1979 vintage Sunburst/Rosewood/Tortoise Shell P-bass. Looks like I got a step closer. :eyebrow:
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well there you go. :D

Who is Mike Herrera?
  13. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Bassist of legendary pop-punk band MxPx. He used to use a 1979 P-bass, which can be seen in their "I'm Ok, You're Ok" music video. Since then, I've wanted one like it. His picking style is a huge influence on my playing.
  14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's what you get for trying to do the Vic Wooten thing without practicing first. My first beater bass was a '75 J that got smashed by an ex-roommate in a dispute over a woman. Oh, the horror...
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You are an idiot ha ha ha ha ha ha haha. *Looks for that link*
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Keep practicing until you perfect the move.
  17. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    Now you have a good excuse to get another bass! :hyper:

Watch some live Yngwei Malmsteen (Swedish guit@r shred-fest guy), obeserve his swing-the-axe-over-the-shoulder technique, practice on your beater-bass.
  18. Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    how many basses will have to become vitaged untill your satisfied :bawl: :p
  19. 1. of course youre an idiot, i wont argue wiht that.

2. so am i

3. if your guitarist jumped off a bridge, would you too also try and use your guitar cable instead of a bungee cord?

4. ...usually vintaging doesnt include breaking hardware and electronics :D

5. Ernie Ball strings? really now...
  20. DID THAT WITH MY AMP! cept with wire cutters and later a hammer :D