Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm an idiot!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by purplechains, Jun 5, 2001.

1. A while ago I asked if anything was wrong with my bass because it sounded like crap. Dumb@$$ me didn't think to check if it was tuned or not. It wasn't. Just thought I'd bring this up in case anyone needed to laugh at someone because I deserve it!

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah, I've noticed that tuning sometimes does have an influence on the basses sound. I think its important for us to realize the complexities of our instrument. Once you have your bass-tech tune that, you may want to consider adding a second string.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yes you are... learn from your mistakes!

now it´s time for physical punishment!
    *slaps purplechains on the head* :D

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tuning? Your a music elitist! You bourgeois bastard! Where's the General? :D

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Reminds me of the time in my old band that our two guitarists had a blazing row, and very nearly came to blows, after one told the other that his amp sounded awful. After about an hour of arguing, the guitarist with the bad sound tuned up, and the problem was solved. :rolleyes:

6. That's usually why my guitarist's tone blows.. lol. Well.. I fixed up his tone (after he tuned up again) by taking away his Boss Metal Zone distortion and making him use his Marshall amp distortion which is great.

7. I feel for you, purplechains. After I had played for a few months, I took my bass in to the place where I bought it and had the guy see if he could figure out why the action was so hard and the neck was bowed. He plucked one string and was like, "you've got this thing tuned way high." He tuned it and I lost most of my pride for the next several days.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

purple - Please don't take offense, but that may take the TalkBass "Bonehead Award."

A close runner up would be the post where the person said his strings had too much tension for his taste and his guitarist brother told him to adjust the tension by turning the tuning keys down.

It took me a few years to find out you could adjust the neck with truss rod. But I didn't have the benefit of TalkBass waaay back then.

9. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    This reminds me of the old joke:

Band is playing a club. They're between sets and the guitarist is looking for the singer and the bass player. He finds them in the alley behind the club, with the bass player on top of the singer, pounding the crap out of him. The guitarist separates them, asking what the problem was. The bass player says that the singer detuned one of his strings. The guitarist says, "so what's the problem?". The bass player replies, "He won't tell me which one!"

10. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    One more thing, on a more serious note <G>:

Invest in an electronic tuner. I have one of the little Boss ones, costs like $25.00. I plug it into my amp, and tuning is the first thing I do when I pick up bass.

11. lmfao!

12. Wait a second, how do you tune these things? I didn't know you were supposed to do that.

13. actually some of my friends own guitars (but have no idea how to play them) they go to the music store to get their guitars tuned and to change the strings geez!!!!!!!!!!!

14. I know someone like that! like really its not THAT hard!
    Merls

And yes yes you are an idiot.. in the nicest way of cours.e why would i compare you to a drummer? :p

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    As this one is actually on topic, I thought we'd swing it on over to MISCELLANEOUS.

Have fun Wil.

16. Thanx. I'll take that award with pride.