I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrich, Jul 19, 2001.

  1. jrich

    jrich Guest

    Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL

    What is daisy chaining? And what is a "wall wart"? And i'm sure i'll have more where those came from before too long. Oh and if anybody knows...what is the frequency range for a 4 string (normal tuning and drop d)? Also, when looking at cabs, what does the spl rating determine?

  2. Blackbird

    Blackbird Supporting Member

    Mar 18, 2000
    Moved to Amps.
  3. Davidoc

    Davidoc Guest

    Sep 2, 2000
    Northern VA and JMU
    Daisy chaining is runing a speaker to the amp, and running another speaker from the first one. It can be done with as many speakers as necesary.
  4. seamus

    seamus Guest

    Feb 8, 2001
    Not sure, but I think a wall wart is an adapter that takes up more than one outlet space. For example, on a standard wall outlet or surge protector, a wall wart will cover another outlet besides the one it is using. You'll often see the outlets on the back of a power conditioner are staggered in pairs so as to prevent the wasted space from these kinds of plugs.

    SPL rating is what's referred to as the efficiency of a speaker or driver. The higher the SPL rating, the more efficient the driver will be. The more efficient a driver is (or higher SPL), the less power you'll need to achieve desired volume levels. Cabs with lower SPL ratings will require more power than their higher rated counterparts when it comes to producing equal volumes. Not all speakers are created equal however, so this is not so much a rule as it is a measurement for comparing relative specs on drivers. That is an over simplified explanation, but I think you'll see what I mean.

    As far as frequency of the open strings on a bass, I think they go something like this:

    E = ~41Hz
    A = ~55Hz
    D = ~73Hz
    G = ~98Hz

    The E string I am pretty sure of, but I don't know if the rest are correct. I think that a B string on a 5 is ~31Hz and I know the open E is ~41Hz. I think that would put the drop down D somewhere in the neighborhood of ~36Hz.

    There are peeps in the forum that know way more about all this stuff than me, so I trust they'll correct anything that's wrong here. :D
  5. eric atkinson

    eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

    Feb 4, 2001
    Yep wallwart is to protect your amp from power problems! You can get them in a rack mount that i like much better! Rackrider is a good one!
  6. Actually Eric that would be a power conditioner, or surge protector. A wall wart is the big square looking plugs. AC adapters for effects pedals are wall warts, as are the plugs to most video game systems and things like that. As well as alot of different rack gear.
  7. SPL=sound pressure level .
  8. jrich

    jrich Guest

    Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    thanks everybody,

    That was a lot of help.
    btw metro I knew what spl stood for, I just didn't know how it helped you determine anything. But thats ok!