I'm Ashamed to ask, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 20, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ok, I am looking into my next bass, and am considering one of 4 options, Warwick NT Thumb or Infinity being 2 options I'm considering, and the others being a DP Custom, or an FBB.
    I am a freshman in college, so money is a bit of an issue, which brings me to my question:
    What is the resale like of a DP or FBB that has been custom built to my specs? I wouldn't be too outlandish, I would just want to choose my woods and PUs, etc. My parents are making me ask this, since this will be a large sum of my hard-earned money, and in case anything should happen with school down the road.
  2. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    DP Customs have been sold for more than what it cost to have them built. so yes... dp customs have a high resale value. not sure about FBB, but im sure it would be the same. I would highly recomend Dave Pushic. You really can't beat his price. and he is absolutly wonderful to work with. his instraments are of very very high quality. he is up there with the best of them. i'd put him up to the calibur of kinal basses. He is a true custom bass luthier. He will do anything you want him to do as long as its within reason, and that its not ripping off other designs. FBB also makes wondeful basses, but in your situation, i'd go with a dp for the price.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks. I really am leaning towards a DP or FBB rather than Warwick, but had to ask that first. The more I look at that "Show your DP" thread, and the "DP 7 String" thread, the more I like! Thanks for you answer.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Remember though, if a custom design is too goofy for most people, it's likely that you won't reach someone interested in buying it. If you do a more mainstream shape with good materials, it could be sold for more than it costed you, if the buyer isn't all clear on what he's doing.

I was into buying a DP myself not too long ago, but after seeing pictures of a certain TB member's f-ed up DP bass, which was brand new, I was scared away from it. I'm sure Dave learns from his mistakes, and if something like that happens again he'll correct it... but if I'd buy a DPC (or any custom-made bass from the states) and there's a problem with it, there's this little pond between his and my country making shipping very expensive.