Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm at a loss: wiring options for Aero pups, passive, series/parallel, explodinghead

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basschair, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    That last part is just how I feel right now.

Here's where I'm at:
    Aero series-K soap bars in a new build 6 string fretless. That's as far as I've gotten.

Sad, right? Haven't decided on single or dual coal yet (you're welcome to chime in on that...in fact, please do). I'm thinking V-V-T setup passive, and found Lyle's thread with a great schematic. Since I'm a wiring amateur (rank amateur), I don't know if I can wire both dual and single coils in this manner and still get a series/parallel switchable setup.

Basically, I'm wondering if there's sites out there with great sections on wiring passively with a s/p switch, either dual or single coil (I'm so new I don't know the difference in wiring these...as far as sound, that's a different story). I've got the standard bass-building books, and about to go offline and start reading the wiring sections. Feel free to suggest any books solely on wiring basses or guitars.

Going back and reading this, geez I need to gather my thoughts and try to be a little more coherant. Please be kind when responding :(

2. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Okay, the exploding head thing has subsided thanks to that website and the Koch book.

Tell me if this sounds a bit more logical:
    Aero series-K soapbars
    dual coil with coil tap-able leads, each with an SPDT switch
    Vol-Vol

Would it be worth it (and do-able) to have two tone pots (one for each pup? Hmmm....

3. I would not recommend wiring the pickups in "exploding head" mode, stick with series or parallel. There are less side effects that way.

Randy

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :D

Slight edit:

Aero series-K soapbars
    dual coil (coils in series) with coil tap-able leads, each with an SPDT switch,
    Vol-Vol

5. Actually I prefer volume - blend- tone, much easier to get the "tone" and keep the "tone" while changing volume from the guitar.

Without knowing what the pickups sound like, I'd try to get the max flexibility in the switching so you don't have to rip it apart and rewire if you don't like single coil (or humbucker) wiring. Just flick the switch. Flexibility is your friend right now.

Randy

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yup, I was going to ask them to wrap/wire the pups so that the four coil wires plus the ground are running out so that I can wire it in series externally (or to a switch for series/parallel). Still, I really am a beginner at the wiring game, so I don't want to get ahead of myself. I'll most likely wrap the leads externally so that the coils are in series for each pup, and then try wiring for a coil tap setup, with v-v-t or something like that. Are you wiring a blend with a master volume, like the thumb bolt-on? I hadn't considered that, but probably should have. Gotta keep reading...

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Try the Bartolini web site. Lots of wiring diagrams there.
    And, here's how I wired mine.