Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Back and Ready to rock!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Apr 3, 2005.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I'll make it short and sweet..
    I had a fire sale a while ago that KILLED me. I sold some killer gear! But my money situation is now in order, and I found a great group of guys to play with. I have been playing acoustic for them, and they aren't loving the bass player now. And of course, I volunteered to 'Head the Low End' - thats the bands name by the way.. Isn't that kick ass.

Anyway.. I loved my Traben, it was Uber Versitile.. but was a heavy SOB! I felt like what Randy Johnson would feel like after a Perfect 9inning game WITHOUT icing down after. It hurt like a bastard a few hours after I'd be done playing it.
    I also like my MTD Kingston fretless, but it was a little too tame for me..

This band will play a few covers .. More rocking stuff than I used to play with older bands. (used to play alot of Dave Matthews Band and other stuff in the Jamband genre.. Phish, and Moe.)

-This new band likes the new Green Day, some of the more rockin U2 (Vertigo and All Because of you) . I need a bass that will gimmie some, punch , growl and a little pop. But I'm not totally ready to dive off into the high end stuff right now. I need at least under $550 .. Due to the fact I know I want an Iamp & Schroeder :bassist: .. I need it to be a versitile 5 string (fretted) .. And since I been away for a little while, I'm not hip to all the new stuff.. I am also to go used as well.

So, help a brother out on his return?

**** to add****
    I love Adam Clayton's tone on the new cd.. What did he record with. Was that also his new Lakland? He's got killer tone on Vertigo.

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I also LOVE the tone in the song 'Jesus of Surbubia' by Green day at the 6:37 mark. If someone can point me to a 5'er with that kinda grit to it, that'd be awsome. How are Spectors , or G&L's for my price range?

3. Welcome back to the low end.

[This deserves a bump]

Matthew

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Spectors :D. Mine's a heavy SOB, but all the new ones I've played have felt rather light actually. Of course, I'm going to give you the line; try them before you buy them. Spectors, G&Ls, Fenders, Laklands are all good places to starts IMO.

Ray

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Mike Dirnt/Adam Clayton ..
    I think thats pretty much the tone I am looking for.. on a budget.. I'd love to have an Ernie Ball, but aint gonna happen right now..

So just throw out some 5er's I should look into that will give me some stage presence in terms of tone. Thanks

6. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Just kidding!!!

;)

:bassist:

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    NO thanks.. I held onto one for longer than i sholuld have.. It made my room look ugly, and smell funny.

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You will want to look at Fender, Peavey, Ibanez and Yamaha in addition to the great basses listed above. There are a lot of choices in your price range. Like Ray said, go play them first and then decide.

Dan

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    You can get a SUB5 used/new for that price, perhaps.

10. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    OOOH yeah... I forgot about the sub.. I owned an active S.U.B for about 2 days.. Not in the color I wanted.. I didn't like the sound of it as much as I did the passive. Even then, the only passive SUBs they had were definitly not my color.. Thanks .. Thats probably the way I'll go. A Passive SUB 5

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome back! I hope that things continue to go well for you.

You should check out a G&L Tribute L2500, and a Lakland Skyline 55-01.

Both have plenty of grit, and are capable of the sound you are looking for.

Either of them fall in your price range, used. New, they are a little bit out of it.

12. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    maybe an MTD heir 5 fretted?
    never owned or played one but they seem preety nice

13. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Naw, same deal with the Kingston.. Not enough output or bite to it. I loved the Kingston for DMB stuff. But I'm getting away from that, and more into rock. Although, I haven't tried any of the new Active MTD's , but they don't have the pickguards and I liked the pickgurads.

I think its between a Lakland & a SUB 5