I'm back to Weichs

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Dec 16, 2005.

1. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    After 4 years of trying just about every string on the market and using Eurosonic Ultr Lights for the last year, I have arived back at Spirocore Wiechs. My Eurosonics died and I needed something, so I threw these on last week and I am actually liking them. For some reason they feel and sound different now. I am loving the arco sound and they are just a very practical string. I am excited to see how they will sound after a few weeks of break in.

Really my only issue with these is the thin feel of the G string and I think slightly less tension overal for the set would be nice. What strings are out there (I'm sure I've tried them at some point) that have a thicker G and slightly less tension than the Weichs? Maybe I should just replace the G with something else. I would rather not deal with a synthetic or gut string if possible, but maybe I should try a Dominant G. Will that feel stiffer or less stiff?
  2. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    "I'm back to Weichs. :meh: " You say it as if it's something you need to apologise for!?! Mind you, it's always easy to detect a bit of disdain when they, as opposed to Orchestras, get mentioned in postings. I'm not sure why, as string tension choice is often determined by the instrument itself. Lots of serious cats use Weichs to stunning effect, so have the courage of your convictions! Come on fellow TB'ers - support the humble Weich! It ain't all bad.
    Yours etc,
    Jay (reformed spirocore user ;) )
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Thicker AND less tension?
    Seems an impossible task, if you don't want synthetic or gut!
    The warmest steel G I know is the Flexocor, but it may not mix well with Spiro Weichs.
    Maybe the Permanent would do the trick.
    Brighter than the Flexocor, but full and rich tone.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Weichs with an Olive/Eudoxa G is a killer combination. They match up well. The Olive is IMO the best G on the market. It sounds thick in full all the way into thumb position, bows like a dream, and is low tension with a bit more body than the Spirocores. Cost a ton though.

After owning almost ever string on the market I will only ever use 2 now. Weichs, or Animas(or Compas 360 but they are similar to Anima). I am using Velvets now and I have to say I am impressed to say the least!
  5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN

I think weichs are outstanding strings and no one should feel bad about using them. The skinny G is annoying, but there are a lot of great bassists in the world for whom that's what a G string is and should be. They sound good, feel good, and even bow well (once one has gone through the experience of playing on truly un-bowable strings...).
    But I use Animas now and will only switch back if the money becomes an issue (my G and D are coming apart, rattling and losing definition in the fundamental--i.e., dying--after four months, and I don't have the bread to replace these strings three times a year)--they are fabulous strings.
  6. bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    I love weichs and have been using them for a while- great if you like higher action. i always hated the G - and thus have used an orchestra G and weichs on the rest. love the set up . string tension difference is nominal to me..
  7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Try FlatChromesteel on the G, it's warmer than the permanent.
  8. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dominants tension is somewhere between Spirocore Weichs and Orchs - but they are a stiffer string, so they feel closer to the Orchs. Nice fat sound, but with definition and volume.

I'm not a Weich fan myself but I've heard great players with good basses make them sound wonderful.
  9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since, I'm just about due for a string change I think I'll try this combination. I like Adrian's idea, but my wallet just won't cut that on a
    regular basis. I did have some good success with true 3/4 size Spirocore
    Orchestra Strings. But the G still sounds funny with a bow, it's just a little on the nasal side. Ultimately, I may have to go the Olive route. Has anyone ever used a Dominant G with Spirocore A, D, and E?
  10. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I put a Dominant G on with Spiro Orch EAD, and they matched very well, BUT.........

I liked the G so much I was curious about the D. I liked that enough to be curious about the A. Now I have that I'm curious about the E. Just when the Spiros were played in and I thought I was happy with them :( .

Just don't start this if you can't finish it :D .
  11. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I'm using Dominant G and D with Spirocore (orch) E and A. It's a fairly nice setup, thus far. I am coming from Eudoxa and Olive G and D, and proir to that about everything else.

Dominants are slightly warmer than spirocores, bow better, and have a tighter feel that the Eudoxa/Olive route.