1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm back (what, you were gone?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by russosborne, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Took a self imposed vacation from some of my forums over the summer. Got to the point where I was getting stressed out reading the forums more than it was fun.
    Been starting to feel like playing again and thought I should check back in here and see what's been going on. Hoping that reading here might be the nudge I need to pick the bass up again. Need to play some Christmas songs for my wife. Need to get the keyboard setup as well. My wife gets a funny look on her face when I play the display at Sam's Club. :roflmao:

Can't remember exactly when I left here. Got let go (a lot of us did) from the job I had early summer. Been working a real job again for the first time in ages since Sept. Working as an Electronic Tech again and making decent money. Not decent enough, but decent. Crappy schedule, Sun-Thurs, and right now a more or less mandatory 6th day a week. So either Friday or Saturday for me. Second shift. The hurricane that hit Puerto Rico caused our sister plant there that supplies us major issues, they're getting back up and now we have to play catch up.

Had a couple of deaths in the family. :crying: One was my best friend's mom the end of August. I was pretty much the adopted son with her. Sucks, but not unexpected. She would have turned 90 this month.
    The other was my mother in law. Happened a week ago this past Friday. Again, not totally unexpected, she had just turned 89, but we thought she was going to be around a few more years. She went downhill fast. She also was a big contributor to our income as she lived with us the last 5 or so years. Thankfully my current job is enough to make up for what she was giving us and some, but we do have to be careful regarding spending. It's a good thing I hadn't committed to taking lessons again as I was just about to do. Maybe I can in a few more months once we see how everything settles.

Due to my job I am losing my health insurance the end of this month. I expected that, as it is income based. But I had thought that the agency I am with had decent insurance, but it turns out they don't. My med's are all generic, but some are probably pricey. Going to be finding out for sure shortly. That is a big part of the financial uncertainty right now. Having had the triple bypass last December along with other health issues going without most of the meds is NOT a good idea. Hoping I can get hired direct at the company I am working at, but that is not guaranteed. Right now I am not sure I want to be direct there. Hopefully that feeling will pass.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know. :sorry:

Russ

Joe Nerve likes this.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Sorry to hear about all the tough stuff going on, but welcome back.

I have to take vacations from here from time to time, and took the entire summer off the year before this. Got tons of stuff accomplished. I took off not due to negativity here, but cuz I sometimes spend too much time and energy reading and responding. I think it's important to steer away from the crap that sometimes goes on TB. Thankfully, there's not a lot of that - but it's easy to get pulled in when it pops up :).

Good luck Russ. Hope ya have some fun here!

3. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Welcome back.
    Sorry to hear about the knocks life has thrown at you, and hoping things take a turn for the better.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  4. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Sincerely sorry to hear about the body blows you’ve been forced to absorb...
    I hope that we can all serve to soften the impact...provide a place to go...

Now, jump up out of bed and go Kick Ass! :thumbsup:

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hang in there man. Sounds like you are in a rough patch right now. I have been there. The good times are better and things smell even sweeter on the other side.

It also sounds like music could be a good therapy for you. Hope you are able to hook up with some toys soon. :D

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

welcome back, https://www.talkbass.com/members/russosborne.240567/ !

sounds like you've been going through some pretty tough changes. it also sounds like you're able to detect some light at the end of the tunnel...and that you're getting some balance back into your routine/experience.

congrats on your job (security and potential) and it's always nice to hear that a player is looking to play! peace! :thumbsup:

good luck,

jim

7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Welcome back @russosborne. Sorry to hear about your losses and by-pass surgery. I'm guessing you will really need to be there for your wife this holiday season.
    I hope and pray that your job situation improves and that you get decent affordable health insurance.

8. Thanks, all.

We're trying to get adjusted to the new normal for us. Going to take some time, we had just gotten used to the previous new normal of me working a real job for real money again. Now we have to curb our spending. Not cut it off entirely, but no more just buying something on a whim. Not to mention the more important new normal of my wife's mom not being here anymore. :(

I need to hurry up and get all the rearranging done in the house. My wife is moving her craft stuff into the other bedroom, I am hoping to fit the music stuff in this room along with my model kit building stuff. We've been crammed together ever since we moved here, so I'm not sure just what will fit where. In a large way this is really just keeping busy work for my wife, helps her to keep her mind off of her mom a bit. This is expectedly much much worse on her than it is me. And I get to go to work, she is stuck home with just the dogs and cat and memories.

Getting old is starting to really suck. I always thought I'd be gone before everyone else so I wouldn't have to deal with the losses. Once again looks like I was wrong. :jawdrop::speechless:

Russ