Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm back.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just wanted excite you all by letting you know I'm jumping the fence once again. The woman I play with (that originally motivated me to get the double bass) just did a concert in NYC with her Belgian band, and watching her double bassist got me thinking, "I can do that. I can do it even better!." And now I will.

My reason for putting this in the technique section is that I just wanted to mention that I was surprised at the fact that I haven't touched the thing since I saw Ray Parker play months ago - and I thought it was going to be like starting all over again. Much to my surprise the bass seemed waaay easier to play than when I last touched it. I was able to play entire songs, the action felt easier. Perhaps the weather has affected the bass? Perhaps my memory of how difficult it seemed to play at first was off... I don't know.

Perhaps this SHOULD be under miscellaneous.

I just bassically wanted to say hi again because I can just feel the vibe about how happy all of you get when one of us real BG people come around your parts of town. :)

2. What a relief to see you're still hangin' in Joe!

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Thanks. Just finished putting in a half an hours practice in. Realized that the bass was tuned down a half step when I tried playing along with the CD I'm working at. :( Big freaking difference. I was getting pretty good at getting around the neck - now I feel like I've taken a HUGE leap backward. Maybe I'll just keep it tuned a half step down and play all her songs like that. :) Arrrgh! No, I ain't gonna do that - gonna just keep practicin till it's easy.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Good to hear from you again, JOSENUERVO.

5. Classic! :D
    You must be a takillya drinker.