1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm Back

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TechZilla, Mar 29, 2006.

1. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Prepare, this is a long one.

After about a 14 year hiatus I finally decided to dedicate at least a part of my life to music again. I’ve been in “the shed” for the last year and a half slowly collecting some new gear and working on my chops building up the nerve to have the “I think I’d like to do the band thing again” conversation with my wife. Well surprisingly enough the conversation went extremely well and she gave me the nod to go for it.

I trotted down to the local music store and promptly answered an ad for a rock band needing a bass player. Their ad listed some of my favorite bands from back in the day, and specified players over 25 only so I thought I would give it a go. Well, long story short: practice pad in drummer’s living room, no vocals, Paranoid 3 times, I was the only one that had actually played in front of an audience, and when the police showed up I was never so glad to see a cop in my life.

Needless to say I decided to regroup.

In my “neck of the woods” anyway, bass players are normally in demand so I decided to post my own ad the local music store just to see if I could get any interest. My ad read simply:

Bassist

Looking to join an existing or form a new Rock Cover Band.
    20+ Years experience.

I posted the ad on a Saturday afternoon and waited patiently for the flood of freaks to light up my phone.

Over the weekend my “Oh so understanding” spouse not only agreed to let me start playing again she surprised me with a night out to go see Tapt, Chevelle, and Nickelback at our local Concert hall on Sunday night as well as a fine Italian dinner and Monday off for both her and myself. Did I marry well or what? Anyway after our kick ass weekend we picked our kids up from school on Monday and took them out for a bite. While we were eating my cell phone rang and it was some dude answering the ad I had posted.

Learning a valuable lesson from my first experience I asked a lot more questions and for the most part was satisfied with the answers so I was on my way to audition number 2.

Let me make this long story short: Practice studio, Gigs lined up, set list 100 miles long, and a full P.A. and lights.

Needless to say I hit the Rock Cover Band freakin jackpot.

So far things are going well, these guys are experienced, motivated and show up to rehearsal on time, not to mention they are pretty decent musicians. So far I’m having a blast. and we’re working on booking our first gig.

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Good for you, I wish you luck and plenty of success :D

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Kinda my story except i have alot less experience at bass.After the first band turned out to be a mistake i found the second one which i'm in now and we are giging and moving on after a slow start. Good luck and enjoy it for all its worth!