Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm baffled...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by toman, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Anybody want to help me troubleshoot my bass? I have to admit, I've been slacking off and not playing a lot lately. Today, I go to play my bass and all four strings appear to have shifted to the bass ide by at least a quarter inch. Now, it would seem to be a simple problem, probably the bridge is just out of place. I'm a pretty good mechanic, so I take a look at everything, measure everything, and there's nothing wrong with the bass. Everything is exactly where it's supposed to be, as far as I can tell. What could cause this? There are only two things I can think of that could be remotely related to this; one, the joint between the neck and fingerboard has been a little open right at the bottom of the neck. I don't see how that could affect anything. Second, before I got this bass the neck was reset for a higher angle. Could something have moved there to cause this problem? I hope not... I need to get this fixed or it's going to drive me nuts!

Thanks for any ideas...

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I have bumped my bridge off kilter going through doorways several times with the same result. I just loosen the strings and scoot the bridge back over where its supposed to be and I'm back in action.

I get more careful every time it happens.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sounds like it's time to pay a visit to Lex Luthier. :meh:

4. yeah, I probably will have to go see my luthier. I was hoping someone might have an idea what it was before I do though, just because I'm curious. I wish it was just the bridge, and I could correct the problem by moving the bridge over a bit, but the thing is the bridge is exactly where it is supposed to be. (And has been)...

5. Well if the bridge hasn't moved at all the neck must - something has and its not the strings coz they are in slots - yikes!

6. Lay the bass on its side on a hard, level floor. Measure from the scroll eye to the floor. Lay the bass on its other side on the same spot on the floor, take the same measurement. If the measurements aren't the same, the neck is misaligned. (This assumes the body is not misshapen). Not real scientific, but might show that the neck joint is moving.

My 80 or so year old Czech bass has had that much neck misalignment for as long as I've had it (about 25 years.) The bridge is fitted accordingly, the bass sounds good. I want to treat it to a post patch, maybe a bass bar and some edge repair one day, and will have the neck reset at the same time.

Bottom line, as long as the neck joint is tight and the bass stays in tune, you might want to adjust to playing it that way. If the neck's loose, obviously it's surgery time...

Don'tcha hate surprises like that? Good luck.

7. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Are you absolutely positive the bridge hasn't moved a tad bit? Do you have the feet marked? Regardless, I'd try scooting the bridge sideways a bump before you pack the whole thing up, put it in your El Camino, and find your Lex Luthier... ;)

8. This sounds impossible. What does the neck alignment look like when you look from the very top of the scroll down to the bridge and the down to the saddle. If you're positive it wasn't bumped, there shoul be some real crooked stuff going on looking from the top of your bass!
    Maybe you could post a picture?

9. That's why this seems so odd; the bass has been sitting in it's corner for about a month, just being played a few times a week... Here's a picture. Not the best quality, but just to show what I'm looking at. Oh, and the bridge is definately in the right spot; it was marked before I got the bass and I've always had the bridge in that same spot.

10. Upon furth inspection, it would appear my bass needs a trip to see mr. luthier. I'm not sure what's going on, but the neck is definately not sitting in it's pocket right; the shim on the bass side appears to have sunk down into the pocket, leaving a bit of a gap on top, and for whatever reason the shim on the bass side seems significantly thicker than the one on the other side making the neck not sit straight. Also, the seam along the top where it intersects the neck joint is open and the top seems to be bulging out a bit. Something wierd is going on here folks...

11. Sorry man!! :crying: