1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm beginning to wonder about Rickenbacker.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Navybass, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I was at my local music store today and they're an Official Rickenbacker retailer that orders quite a bit of stuff from Ric. Anyway, the bass salesperson was telling me an interesting story about them that happened a few days ago.

He currently has 1 Ric in stock and 10 more that are backordered (for about a year now). Anyway, he was telling me that he called Rickenbacker to find out about a few things, and while he was on the phone with them, he figured he'd ask about a general time frame as to when the store might be getting the backordered Rics. He said that the Ric representative told him, in a somewhat snooty voice "You'll get them when you get them".

He told me that he was very nice to them the whole time he was on the phone and figured that maybe she got that way because many other stores call them up and ask the same question, and she was just frustrated about having to answer it 100's of times a day, but then he thought about the way she sounded when she answered. He said that she didn't sound frustrated, she sounded more like, well, like I described...Snooty, almost like the store wasn't that important to her or the Ric corp.

He told the store owner what had happened and the owner said "That's not the first time".

The music store I'm talking about is not a little Mom and Pop store. Granted, they're not a franchise like GC, they're independently owned, a member of AIMM, and one of the biggest stores on the east coast. They make our local GC look sick.

I wonder if that's an isolated incident or if Ric treats all their dealers like that.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They don't want or need to grow, they're backordered for years and there still is a growing demand regardless of they cocky attitude. Why would they care ?

3. As soon as a decent 'cheaper' company starts making some Ric 'look-a-likes' a lotta ppl will be happy. "SX" anyone??????? Ibanez/Greco made some in the '70's & probly got in trouble, but 'similar' ??????!?!?!?!?!!!!!

4. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.

That will NEVER happen because Ric owns the trademark on that cresting wave design and promptly puts a stop to anyone who copies it and tries to sell it in the USA.

They've even had ebay listings ended for using the words like "Ric copy" or "4001 copy". And these were auctions for the early Univox, etc 70's copies.

They are very protective of that design.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Considering Rickenbacker's counterfeit protection policy it is not likely to happen, in USA at least. There are a few elsewhere.

6. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Whatever. Great basses, anal company. If you've got one, great. If not, find one somehow and let what happens to the company happen.

7. Rickenbacker is actuallly a pretty small company too, and they have been pestered to no end about being backordered two years. Like DaveF said, if you can get one of their basses, do it! They're well worth it!

8. does ricenbacker have a discount brand?
    like fender and squirer
    or gibson and epiphone

9. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    My opinion is that the woman was snooty, not the company. I've been in customer service for longer than I'd care to let on, and I've seen countless situations where a single disgruntled employee gives the entire company a bad image. To tell the truth, the owner John Hall is a very approachable guy that frequents the forums and answers questions about the company and products. If any one person is going to represent the company best, it's him. Certainly not snooty--more like personable.

10. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    Personally i dont think they look good at all. Would be cool for a cheap soundalike though:)

11. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    They are okay basses, nothing special. I wouldn't mind owning one again but I wouldn't wait two years or pay 2 grand for one...there are much better basses to be had in that range.

Dan

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Read the reviews on Harmony Central ... they Give the Rics 8s, 9s and 10s until they get to customer support ... then they get 1s, 2s and 3s.

Rickenbacker is not a customer friendly company. They make nice instruments but they are kind of overpriced.

I am glad that Fender isn't like Ric. Otherwise a p-bass and a Jazz bass would cost $2000 to $3000 and the wait would be 2 years. There would be no squiers, no mims, and no SX copies. And there would be no allparts, Mighty Mite, or Warmoth Fender style basses.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    JH is friendly until you have a criticism ...

14. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    My one run in with their CS was a pleasant experience. Spoke to someone when I called, they spoke to me about the bass and gave me the info I was looking for.

15. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    It's called Buying Used. XD And even then, it's not the biggest discount due to demand.

16. My first pro bass was a '75' Ric that I bought brand new in '75', I played that bass til it fell apart, literally. In the 35 yrs I've been playing bass guitar, it was one of the best I ever owned, I wish I still had it - but I don't. If Ric made a production 4003 5 string I'd be on it in a second, but they don't.

Company's like Ric know their place in the industry, they are not in any hurry to put out a shoddy product, so you have to wait. Gibson is the same way about their products, you'll get em when you get em. Deal with it.:smug:

17. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    I concur, there are many basses in the 2k range that would not require a 2 year wait. But, better? Is this your opinion or a statement of fact because it sound very subjective.

Nothing special...indeed:eyebrow:

18. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    And for all the reasons you've listed above Ric5 just illustrates the uniqueness of Ric:meh:

19. Personally I think Rics are just as well built and sound as good as other basses in their price range. Despite what a lot of people say, I find them extremely versatile basses. I have owned seven Ric instruments to date and every one was top notch build quality. The only problem I've had was scratchy pots on a VERY beat up 3001 I bought on the Bay.

Yes, their phone reps can be a little difficult but having to deal with the huge backorder and constant inquiries about it has gotta drive you to being difficult after a while.

Don't get me wrong, Ric is not perfect. They could make some improvements to their line. I do like the fact that they have refused to have an overseas budget line. They are the last of the old school big names still doing business this way.

I've often wondered what happens when John Hall is gone... will the company get bought out or start ramping up production overseas? Kinda makes me curious. And makes me think Rics are the best current production "investment" instruments you can buy.

20. undeadbass

undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    check out the schecter 004 series - not exact, but the body looks pretty close to a ric