1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm beginning to wonder about Rickenbacker.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Navybass, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    About 5 years ago, there was no waiting period for Rics. As far as what Ric did, I don't know because I sent them back to the stores I bought them off of, or returned them to the store I bought them from and let THEM deal with Ric themselves. I either got my money back, or exchanged them for a different brand.

2. I was just going to say that.

3. The very few times I had to deal with RIC customer service they were very helpful and cheerful with me.

I sold my Ricks, though, because they aggrivated my tendonitis. It hurt to see them go, but it hurt worse to play them. Sorry. They will always have my respect, though. (Jeez this is like a breakup letter)

4. Cinimod

Cinimod Guest

Dec 30, 2007
    Ric seems like the BMW's of bass guitars in my opinion. Im also not keen on how they sound either. Thats just me though.

5. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    My first Ric was not a keeper, but my second will be with me to the end. I don't know what a great bass is but, what I do know, in my hands my JG 4003 08, unlike any bass I've played or owned allows me to fully express myself in one fluid motion from thought to execution. And, I would pay more than 2k for that feeling. Which I am sure many experience with other instruments that cost far less and sometimes a great deal more.

And back to OP I would not accept bad or rude service from anyone.

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The Ric 4001-4003 represent the first generation of electric bass. Compared to Gibson and Fender In my mind the most well thought out. Neck through design, full access to the upper register, balances perfectly, one of the most beautiful designs ever made and advanced electronics (for the time). I'm sure for 2K you might find a more advanced bass but I doubt better made. I think the new 4003 is a excellent value and very well made. I'm a Gibson guy :crying: Mostly nonreverse Thunderbirds and EB3s. I have Fenders and a whole slew of other basses. Rics QC seems top notch to me, sure there are going to be some dogs. I don't think Rics are for everyone and it does take work to get the sound you want but they are not one trick clank ponies, experiment with the volume and tone controlss and a Ric 4003 will paint a broad tone palete. Just my 2 cents.

7. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    This question is probably taboo, but would it be cheaper to have a luthier build you a Ric than to pay for the real deal?

8. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    Exactly. They are not 4 everyone:cool:

9. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Maybe in China :rolleyes:

10. Good ones show up on ebay and craigslist I was gassing for one for months and then this baby showed up! 1985 4003 in near-mint condition. I've actually seen new ones in stores more banged up than this! Bought for a kid in '85 who lost interest after a couple of months and stuck it in a closet. Still had all the case goodies, strap still smelled of new leather. One pin sized mark on the body... I'm a big Jazz bass guy but if you want that Ric tone there is no substitute....

11. +1

Ric basses are unique sounding, and at least for me, I love their tone. They're easy to play and beautiful to look at too.

12. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    How are the electronics "advanced"? Oh, they added 1 more jack and made it either stereo or mono, that hardly qualifies as advanced electronics. Gibson had been doing that with the ES-345 since the 50's.

The first generation of electric bass will probably always be the Fender Precision. It was the first commercially successful bass out there, simple in design, easily repaired, sounded good, played well, and actually had a ground breaking body shape (the double cutaway was a brand new design for the guitar world).

Ric's first bass was the 4000 which was a 1 pickup model with a set neck (not neck through). I'd have to check the actual dates of release, but I think that the Gibson Thunderbird might have come out before the 4001 which would make the T-bird one of the first neck through basses.

Ric's aren't bad basses at all, but they're hardly revolutionary. I can guarantee that you could find quite a few $2k basses that are just as well made.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Ric, nor did I start this thread to be a Ric bashing session. Just posting some info.

13. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    And that's great to hear. Many people pay a lot more to get the feeling you have. Like I said, they are unique basses that are made well and sound great, IMO.

Dan

14. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    This thread just makes me miss my old '73 4001. I bought it new from Mike Lull back in the days when he worked in a Bellevue Wa. music store, I played the hell out of it! I sincerely regret selling it a couple years back, not a smart move on my part. It was an excellent bass :)

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've owned two 4003's. One was in the mid-90's (Fireglo) and one was around '05 (Montezuma Brown). Two of the most beautiful basses I've ever owned. But neither one of them lasted a year before I sold them. As much as I loved the looks, they just weren't as comfortable for me as my Fenders (non-contoured edges; pickup as thumbrest; etc.). The first one also cut out on me frequently (bad selector switch, which is no big deal, but not something you expect at that price). The last one had a very weak E string. After trying all kinds of remedies, I decided, "What am I doing? It's clear that I prefer, and am much more comfortable with my Fenders." So I sold it.

I still love the looks of them. And for those who love them, that's certainly understandable. They just aren't for me. I DID notice that on the Ric Forum, John Hall is treated like a deity. Certainly not his fault, but true nonetheless. And woe be to any poor fool with the audacity to voice a preference for another brand of bass.

16. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I guess love is truely blind. :D

That was a joke, so don't take it seriously.

17. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    I like John he's all right, I don't blame him for not letting anyone infringe on his trademark I'd do the same. What I don't agree with is his stance on copies if your pissed because some company stole your idea but why go after the consumer, go after the manufacturer the other thing is having to wait a year or more for a bass theres no excuse.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Fender P = 1951

Gibson eb 1= 1953

Ric 4000= 1957

Fender Jazz=1960

Ric 4001= 1961

Gibson T-bird = 1963

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    +1000

20. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Lets see.............. stereo output a first on a bass I didn't think we were discussing guitars. Lets not forget duel truss rods I am well aware of the 4000 I have owned several over the years. I thought we were talking about the new 4003s which are a direct continuation of the 4000. Btw Gibson made a electric bass in 1938. GibsonBass.