1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm beginning to wonder about Rickenbacker.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Navybass, Sep 27, 2008.

1. allotabass

allotabass Guest

2. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    They are $800-$1000 basses at most. I have had a bunch of them.
    Prices are just way out of control/inflated.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    I feel they are worth 1200.00-1500.00 or so. If they could improve their finish, get a new bridge, and quiet them down, they would be worth the 2K, I think.

Dan

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    They are well worth the 1000 they were going for two years ago. I wouldn't pay more than that though, especially since they've doubled their street price since then.

5. Agreed 100%- some of the 4003's on the Bay are absurdly over priced.

Ironically, I couldn't unload a fretless 4003 in a color of the year finish for $1600. Go figure!!

6. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    RIC guitars/basses have always sold well and are in such huge demand right now. RIC intentionally stays a reasonably-sized operation and by doing so, I'll bet they minimize their corporate debt. Beyond that, I would guess with their sales being so healthy, their profits are very healthy.

If their clients are satisfied with a long wait, why should the company go to all the expense to add more manufacturing machinery, sq. footage and people? One of the classic business blunders has always been financial overextension. I don't think RIC is anywhere near that.

The only way I see Fender buying RIC is either: 1) J Hall gets to the point of not wanting to run the company anymore and no one suitable in-house is available to replace him, so he sells or 2) Fender would throw such a huge amount of cash at him that he would take the money and retire.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Fender buying Rickenbacker ...

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

8. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    to the OP: what store was it?

9. Amen!

I own 5 Ricks and wouldn't sell any of them, but then I'm not much for selling any of my basses but if I did have to sell them off for some reason they would be the last to go.

Oh... and I'll take the morally challenged twins with or without the Audi....

10. I agee.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    +1

By the way, for those saying copies are impossible.
    Yeah - they'll sue people building stuff that looks like a clone.
    But it would be Extremely easy to come up with a design
    that accomplishes Ric tone - and creates some Ric vibe - without
    looking like a Ric.

But then again, I understand why other companies don't bother.
    :)

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Should get close tonally with a maple body/neck through maple neck, and the aftermarket Seymore Duncan pickups.

13. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    Or you could buy an Ovation Magnum for about 500.00:D

Dan

14. But they aren't...

15. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Employee
    The people that have them are...sometimes, but those waiting are not as satisfied methinks.

16. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Ben Hall, son of John, will most likely be tapped for leadership in RIC, when John and his wife decide to retire. Fender buying RIC would kill them both. The amount of money involved would be a significant drain on Fender, and they would just start selling cheap versions of the line, which is totally not what the Halls would allow. Demand would go down, and the model would fade to squier status, not that theres anything wrong with a good Squier.

The demand HAS increased in the past few years, so much so that the recent price increase is supposed to kwell some of the demand. A very enviable postion to be in for a small family run business. I don't think we will see any shake ups in RIC's business model in our lifetimes. They are not known for risk taking.
    They do what they do, well or not, but it is what it is. Personally, I love my brand new 4003, that I happen to get at the old price. $1495 USD. I paid 1700 for my 4004Cii5, and spent another 300 on new pickups just to get it working, then the truss rods replaced for another 300. But, it is one of a VERY few ever made. It is my main 5 string bass. In my opinon customer service has sort of been a problem for them. To me its irrelivent. I have always felt like I was on my own in regards to owning a RIC. I dont even bother sending in the warrenty cards.

17. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Am I understanding you correctly? You spent $1700 for a 4004Cii5, then had to spend another 300 for pickups and 300 for new truss rods just to get it working??? Any reason why you weren't expecting to get a bass that "worked" right out of the box for your $1700? Because if it didn't then that's inexcusable and I would have returned it or demanded that Rick repair it. But that's easier said than done with Dickenbacker.

Regarding the whole higher demand increase recently, well doesn't it figure when you make customers wait 2 years to get their instruments? It has nothing to do with Ricks suddenly becoming popular due to increased exposure or newer artists perpetuating the Rick tone in recordings, tours, etc. It has everything to do with Rick forcing higher demand as a result of deliberate scarcity they've created and by not meeting the initial demands. Then they have the nerve to officially roll out said backordered instruments as some new launch of product line and decide to double the retail price when they finally get around to fulfilling orders and making instruments available again. Nice.

I'm glad I bought my Rick years ago when they were truly undervalued because I've liked their agenda and business approach at all. They're archaic, have zero concern for new product development, not to mention a deliberate stubbornness to even improve known quirks/design flaws in their instruments despite years of complaints (They STILL insist on putting those crappy R tailpieces on their guitars!), and a general, "F.. You" attitude towards their customers.

Bottom line: Great (though flawed) instruments; ****** company.

18. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    That's a textbook example of a under-pricing. I wonder why they don't just double their prices? Shortages are just as bad for producers as they are for consumers.

19. I know the twins you're looking for. They live in Ontario. The car's your own problem, though...

20. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopolistic_competition

That being said, I think they could double their production, not cut the price a cent, and they'd still be backordered. Many people seem to decide its not worth the hassle.

If this is the case, from a business perspective, the one thing I can't stand about a business is when you have cash in hand and all you want to do is give it to them and they say "no" for some irrational reason.

"Sorry, although I'm running a for-profit business, it just puts me out too much to take your money"