1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm beginning to wonder about Rickenbacker.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Navybass, Sep 27, 2008.

1. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    You're right, it would put them out too much to increase production. They'd have to increase their shop size and hire more workers. This kind of operation is a big deal for someone their size, and they just don't want to deal with it. I feel it gives more value to the individual bass.

2. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I recently read an article about Rickenbacker, although I did it quickly since it really wasn't of great interest to me. The main point seemed to be that demand just keeps going up, there are plenty of backorders, and Rickenbacker feels very good about the way things are going. In other words, they feel they are sitting pretty and really aren't planning on changing much of anything, except for maybe increasing their prices.

3. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    You know, with the recent price hike, I'm not convinced a little expansion would break them. I also disagree that the rarity adds more value. I'd want a Ric just as much if they were easy to get.

4. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think it would break them, either. I think they could totally pull it off. Personally speaking, I could do more work (like working overtime) to make more money, but I simply don't want to. I don't need or want money enough to do it.

I still conclude that rarity adds value, at least monetarily speaking. For instance, the value of 4001 basses goes up every year. Take a look at the digitech whammy demand. They discontinued it, and all of a sudden we have petitions to bring it back, and people spending over $500 for used ones on ebay. I doubt they had this demand or value when they were in production.

5. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
  6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    A few years ago I had a small issue with the neck of my old 4003. I posted about on a Ric forum and John Hall contacted me, saying he'd be on holiday in Ireland a couple of months later and offered to look at it himself.

If that's not customer service I don't know what is, the man is a gent.

7. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005

But I seriously doubt if that would be considered typical customer service. For me personally, things just happen in Ireland that don't seem to happen to me anywhere else. The place is great, especially Dublin. No need to elaborate, since it would have nothing to do with Rics.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not to derail the thread but I know of another major bass maker whose owner is treated like a deity.

9. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Well, it's my only experience with anyone from Rickenbacker and if the top man says he'll take time out of his vacation to have a look at a bass, it can only reflect well on him and his company.

I wouldn't expect someone to fly over especially... :bag:

10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Doctor J, out of curiosity--has your band played at Eamonn Dorans?

11. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Yes, I played loads of gigs there when it was called the Rock Garden back in the early 90's.

Unfortunately, I only played one gig on bass under it's current guise as Doran's, we did a New Years Eve set a few years ago and hey I used the Ric that night :)

The rest of the gigs I played in Dorans were on... ooh the words stick in my mouth... dr... dr... drums

I'll get my coat :bag:

12. This is probably the most accurate and succinct post about Ric I've read.

They are producing an archaic product that has seen a surge in popularity because of the whole "vintage" retro vibe that is in effect right now. They are succeeding despite their best efforts to fail. They aren't the first, there are plenty of businesses that continue to operate even though they should, by all accounts, be out of business, simply because they are unique in the market. This is why Ric fights so feverishly to knock out any knockoffs that pop up.

If there was a company that made Rickenbacker fakes legally, you'd see Rickenbackers plummet in price and demand, regardless of how the fake sounded.

I'm just in awe that they haven't improved their design after all the years they've been putting out instruments. Oh wait, they did...they added an unnecessary second trussrod:p

Kudos:D

Dan

13. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005

I had a feeling when I saw what kind of band you played in that you would have played at Eamon Dorans. Two years ago, a band I was in at that time played there. I'd say more, but this is just too non-Ric related. I must say, though, that I would have liked to have had a Ric to play that night. I ended up having to buy a cheap bass in Tallaght the first day I got in Dublin and didn't have a chance to shop for a good bass. Things still went well, though, at the Eamon Dorans gigs and at other gigs, too.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Rickenbackers have had 2 truss rod from at least the early 60s.

Rickenbackers are retro ... that is mainly because those who buy them want retro. When Rickenbacker introduces modern basses with modern features they don't sell as well. A lot of the demand for Rics is because the generation that grew up with the beatles now can afford multiple expensive retro instruments.

15. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    Rickenbacker Japan + more options on 4003,
    binding options, fingerboard options, and a rainbow of colors,
    $900 selling point= EPIC WIN for Rick and for customers as well.

16. I'm sorry, I thought at one time they had one on their 4000 series basses. So they haven't changed a thing in 50 years?

It's not like they have to make a new bass to satisfy critics. A bridge change, a better paintjob, some shielding and viola, you have a bass that's worth 2 grand.

I also have to disagree that the demand is due to another generation. The demand is due to bands like Tool, The Hives, The Strokes, and others giving them high visibility as well as the recent resurgence of bass players tastes in vintage instruments.

Dan

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah I think they've had dual rods almost from the start. There are some scanned product catalogs on RIC's site from the late '50s that mentions the dual rods in the 4000 bass.

Ah found it, here it is, a page from the 1957 catalog: http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_poster_piece.asp?poster_piece=cf57-6.jpg

(It also mentions that the bass is neck-through.)

18. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    That's easily solved with a little graphic design and the appropriate forms filled out (yes, it's a gross oversimplification). A new brand name would allow RIC to do other things without using the Rickenbacker name. Much like G&L, unless I'm mistaken. You have the "classic" name for the traditionalists, under which you don't screw around with the old formula much, and then you have the "new" name for all the screwing around you want to do with the old formula, or for completely new formulae.

Of course, I'd put the money into an attempt to at least look like I'm trying to meet demand first, but it's not my company.

19. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own a 70's mapleglo 4001; I shoulda kept it. I will be buying a used one so I don't have to deal with them...

20. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA

+1