1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm beginning to wonder about Rickenbacker.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Navybass, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I had a jetglo '79 that I THINK was a 4003. It could have been a 4001. I get confused trying to remember the difference. But I liked my Univox Stereo Bass that I got to be a backup to the Ric even more than I liked the Ric.

2. The Rickenbacker bass is a well made instrument & is worth whatever someone is willing to pay to own one.Ric5 is right when Ric tried to bring out a new bass design they just do not have the same appeal as the 4000 styled basses.

So they themselves are stuck in a position where people only want a certain style of Ric bass,the closet they have come would be the 4004 basses which keep the look but are just different enough for other players who may not like the 4001/4003 look.

I hope that Ric are never owned by Fender or any other company it would ruin the brand,you have a product that is 100% made in America & like that other American icon Harley Davidson.

I have played my Ric 4003 for the past 10 years and it is still the bass i judge others by.

3. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Nope, the 4000 had only 1 truss rod. They went to 2 rods out of necessity. Alot of the 4000's with 1 rod were being returned because the rod couldn't handle the string tension, so they put 2 rods in there.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Well if that's the case, and it may be in fact, it must've been a quick change because the product catalog page I posted from 1957 sure does mention two rods in the 4000 neck.

5. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    So should RIC invest millions in more CNC machinery and other needed manufacturing equipment, acquire more manufacturing floor space, hire more employees, pay more corporate taxes, and then suffer from an economic downturn when they would lose buckets of cash and have to lay-off employees?

This thread is a cool microcosm of RIC's appeal in the market place. Some posters love the company, some like the company somewhat, and others think it is crap.

Those of us who like RIC instruments know there is a long wait due to a very segmented popularity. Obviously, Fender is huge and the king!

Yeah, there can be a long wait to get a new RIC bass or guitar, but those people who really want one are going to wait fairly patiently. Others simply won't order when they find out how long the wait is. Could RIC do things to up production? Of course, yet why do things that are unhealthy from a business perspective that could jeopardize the company? Some companies just don't want to get bigger, and that's their prerogative. I've never had a problem with their customer service, but I'm sure such things exist when people are excited and hopeful to get their bass as quickly as possible.

They gin out a relatively large number of guitars and basses, but right now they are blessed to have a large backorder and take a conservative approach to solving the problem. Most of their customers understand and accept this.

6. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    When demand outstrips supply, you can either (a) make more, or (b) raise prices. Following option (b) means you don't have to make lots of capital investments in production in response to what may be a spike rather than a plateau.

When the price goes up, some people will of course decide it's not worth it. In Rickenbacker's case, a lot of those people seem to take the price hike as a personal affront, and then it seems like every single one of them posts in every Rickenbacker thread on TB about it. Personally, I doubt very many of the loudest complainers were serious customers before the price hikes.

I really don't understand the whole "How dare they not offer an instrument at a price I'd prefer to pay!" mentality. There are lots of instruments I can't afford, or that I think are cool but not worth what they're selling for, but I don't think the manufacturers are bad guys just because they sell them for whatever the market will bear.

7. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Well said, Chuck!!

8. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    This thread has been a lot of fun to read. Personally, I just bought Ric #80....(yes I have had that many!!) Everyone has a different opinion etc of the company, the prez of the co, and the basses themselves...I can tell you after owning so many that I will keep buying them as I can-used-because I am looking for certain things in each one. I will not buy a new one because I prefer the body size made before 1996-7 and the smaller headstock of the 70s-80s basses. I have had new ones before and they were alright but the thing about a Ric is no matter how beat up, no matter how worn, it still plays tightly and the tones that I get out of them is like no other bass. I can't make my SR5 or my P bass sound like a Ric. If you want to know what I am referring to, go here
    www.myspace.com/warriorjaymi
    and listen to the song called "Promise"...I can't get THAT from anything but a Ric...

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Actually the price increase has good for me ... I recently decided to downsize my collection ...

I got $4500 for selling two 5 string Rickenbackers.

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    My big problem is that they aren't raising prices enough. People are paying there prices, waiting the ridiculous amount of time (I can get a sadowsky made in that time period... a few of them... and they will kill the Rick in all aspects :)) then selling them on ebay for 400-500 more than what they paid for them.

11. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    This bass here sounds almost exactly like a Rickenbacker. It has a Bridge pickup made by my friend Sergio in Portugal and a real Ric pickup in the neck. It also has a 3 band preamp.

fb5%20004.

fb5%20011.

12. up to here I agree completely.

...and my take would be that on a bass forum, you're going to have people comment on pricing trends regardless of the brand (see the 2-3 threads started about the Fender increase for evidence). Those people don't take the price increase personally, but it seems that many Ric owners take the comments about the price hike personally. Whether or not they were going to buy one isn't really relevant to their opinion on the increase.

I think if everyone accepted that they are not what they own this wouldn't be as big a deal. Ric (and Fender) increased prices. People are gonna talk about it. The end.

Mike

13. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The 4001/4003, the p-bass, and the jazz are 3 classic bass designs that go back to the begining of the electric bass and rock and roll.

I own all 3 and I like them all. But I prefer the 5 string modern versions of each.

14. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I played my RIC last night for the first time in about a year(it made it 1 hour out of 3 and the P bass took over). To be honest I really don't care for the tone or feel of the bass at all. The only reason I have it is because I bought it cheap and I know someone who loves them or thinks they "have" to have one will give me twice what I paid for it. I had a Fireglo 4003 from 81 taht I liked even less but sold for a nice profit. The thing was heavy and uncomfortable to play with my right fore arm digging into that binding all night.
    I guess I'm just more of a P bass,Jazz bass guy. Just my opinion but take away the Cool looking and "Retro" factor and you have a mediocre bass at best not near worth the asking price and wait time to get one. I had the chance to buy a brand new Fireglo 4003 in 2004 but thought the $1000 asking price was too high, Some RIC guys may disagree.

15. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    most of them probably will, but that's ok. it is all a matter of preference...I cannot get the same sounds out of fenders that I get from the Ric. I have tried but I keep coming back to that sound...

16. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr

Aug 18, 2007
    Indiana
    I guarantee the guy at Ric gets asked that same question a thousand times a day. They have a small production capacity, in order to keep everything of equal quality, but they have a very high demand. So, they have extremely long backorders. People wait years for them and still love them. Rics certainly aren't for everybody, but some people love them (like myself) and believe they live up to the hype and are worth the wait. I work at a music store and figured I'd call Ric to inquire about becoming a dealer, just for the heck of it, and the guy just about laughed. While some might have seen it as rude, I understand the situation, and it didn't bother me. They've got a business model that they feel very strongly about, and whether they're right or wrong, they're going to do it how they want to do it. I personally am a huge fan of what they do, but not always how they do it.

17. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I didn't buy mine new and when I asked about doing the cap bypass mod on the Resource Forum John Hall took the time to answer a question about a twenty five year old instrument .

Imagine that .

I had mentioned needing something once on the Ric company forum and immediately received several e-mails from Ric Customer Service . I was impressed . People at the Ric Corp do pay attention !

Some don't like them .... that's fine , some do . Their prices are not out of line with other " made in the USA " instruments , I feel they were probably under priced for years . Their instruments have a unique construction , feel and sound . They are what they are .

I love mine and waited a long time before I found it . It's a joy to play . It's a very versatile instrument . It's a keeper .

I also use some instruments from some other major manufacturers . There's room in my playing for several basses .

I hope that doesn't change .

18. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    There's room for playing all kinds of different basses...that is what makes this fun...if you like the Ric, play it....if not, put it under the bed for the time when you are jones'ing for that sound...

19. ihavebrownhaira

ihavebrownhaira

Oct 20, 2008
    women can be cranky whats the big deal?