Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm biking to LA(!) for AIDS/Lifecycle

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by smperry, May 25, 2004.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Hi everyone,

From June 6 through 12, I am participating in the AIDS/Lifecycle bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I have made a commitment to raise a significant amount of money for the HIV and AIDS services of the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center. Thousands of individuals receive life-sustaining services as a result of the money raised through AIDS/LifeCycle.

I'm posting this because currently I'm very short of the minimum amount required to ride ($2500). If any Talkbassers want to donate, please check out my page here:

http://www.aidslifecycle.org/1478

It's very easy to donate online and everything helps. Your contribution is fully tax-deductible and will make a real difference in the lives of many affected by HIV and AIDS.

Or, just go to the site if you want to see me in spandex :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :rollno: .

As a minor incentive, I'll be happy to count whatever you donate towards the shipping costs of anything I might be selling in the future...and I'm going to post my fretless MIJ Fender with Barts and Jretro shortly.

Thanks for reading. In case anyone's curious, I did check with a mod and Paul before posting this.

Marshall

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    wow! :D
    a very close friend of mine has AIDS therefore this is a important issue for me.

i don't have a credit card or anything, but i'll see what i can do!

good luck! :)

3. that's quite a ride. good luck, good work. i'll see if i can scrape something together for you.

4. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for the good thoughts!

This past weekend, I rode my first "century": 100 miles (actually closer to 110) in a day. I got through that ok, so I hope I'm ready...it'll be the day in,day out for seven days that will be hard.

Marshall

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I could totally see myself doing something like this, but that would involve exercise - something I'm not too good at :meh:

Good Luck man!

Actually this reminds me of something that happened today! My wife had gathered up a bunch of old things to donate to some charity and told me that they would be by in the morning to pick the stuff up. So I'm standing on our porch having a cigarette when the donation truck pulls up...the truck said American Lung Association on the side. Boy did I feel sheepish....I put my cig out pretty fast. :rollno:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    $20 your way. :D

Good luck with the trip.

Peace
    Nick

7. so how many miles per day is that then? 80 or so? sounds like fun.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I bought a pair of skateboard shoes from a dude last year on eBay who was using the money from his eBay sales to support his ride. Nice guy.

-Mike

9. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Y'all are the best! :D

I think the American Lung Association actually does a cross-country ride! That's hardcore...

Here's the daily miles (with campsites) of my ride...

DAY ONE: 87.5 Miles
    Camp:
    Cabrillo College
    6500 Soquel Drive
    Aptos, CA 95003

DAY TWO: 100.7 Miles
    Camp:
    San Lorenzo County Park
    1160 Broadway
    King City, CA 93930

DAY THREE: 77.2 Miles
    Camp:
    Mid State Fairgrounds
    2198 Riverside Ave
    Paso Robles, CA 93447

DAY FOUR: 98.7 Miles
    Camp:
    Preisker Park
    2301 Preisker Ln
    Santa Maria, CA 93458

DAY FIVE: 43.5 Miles
    Camp:
    River Park
    Sweeney Rd & Hwy 246
    Lompoc, CA 93436

DAY SIX: 88.3 Miles
    Camp:
    San Buenaventura State Beach
    901 San Pedro St
    Ventura, CA 93001

DAY SEVEN: 82.4 Miles
    Closing site:
    Dodger Stadium :D

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh yeah.....our band plays the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life every year in Thurston County. We play three or four two hour sets over a 24 hour period. No charge. All CD's, and t-shirts we sell go straight to the Relay.

-Mike

11. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    (bump)

I'm sick. :( I guess better now than in a week.

Marshall

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How much more do you have to go?

Peace
    Nick

13. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey Nick,

I'm $990 short as of yesterday. I just re-emailed a bunch of people (about 35), and I think a bunch of them should donate. I think an earlier email I sent out to friends got blocked as spam by a few ISPs.

Thanks again for your donation. I really appreciate it!

Marshall

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    No problem. This is a worthy cause.

Peace
    Nick

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Marshall,

Great cause. My girlfriend, an acupuncturist in SOMA has treated a lot of people involved with the Lifecycle. Great luck to you.