Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i'm bored,and have some money.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SkaKing27, Aug 25, 2003.

1. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    i just recently sold my old bass,austin p w/1/4 pounders...and i was thinking about coolafying my squier jazz...it's candy apple red,i was gonna put a new neck(rosewood with pearloid inlays) and then put a white pearloid pickguard...do you think it would be a waste of money,i don't really need/want a new bass,casue i like the sound of it..and figure,why not..any comments would be appreaciated.

2. hmm, i would say it depends on a few things:

1) if you are looking at spending 200 or more dollars to "coolafy" this bass then i would suggest just getting a new bass altogther, you could get a mim fender (which i have as my main bass, its better than my mia IMO) for around 350-400 i believe. then again, you say you like this one, so if you are happy with it then more power to ya!

2) if you arent looking at spending much then dont expect to get too much done. the neck will most likely be expensive (and i dont know of places that sell squier replacement necks, nor do i know if fenders fit squiers)

3) do plenty of shopping around to assure you get the best deal possible on whatever you are buying for it. and most importantly, have fun with it!

3. I've seen necks start around 200 bucks actually. :meh:

I personally think if you're gonna spend that much money or more to cool-ify a bass...I think all you'll really need to do is get a new pickguard unless your neck is rather screwed up.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think itd be cheaper just to by my Candy apple red MIM fender jazz for $300 :) PM me if ya want.

5. hahaha Figjam......that was SLICK!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, i am.

7. I would get something different. Squire basses are pretty bad in quality so it might start to have problems on you. how much money do you have. if you could save up about $600 you could get something pretty sweet.

8. agreed....but what would you reccommend?