I'm bored.. should I make the switch?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Sorry guys, another fretted to fretless conversion post..

I have been playing this fretted ESP-5 for a little over a year now and have loved it. However, I have gone to the music store many times and played some fretless basses and fallen in love with the sound. I love the endless variety of tone and notes you can achieve when free of frets.

I was wondering if it would be wise for me to convert this ESP-5 to a fretless. In my opinion you can do almost anything on a fretless that you can do on a fretted if not more. And I like the idea of being that much closer to a double bass! mmm jazzy and smoothe..

Also, if you fellas advise me to go for it, how would I do it? that is how would I go about taking out the frets, filling in the slots, and making nice fretlines?

any opinions or advise? later cats..
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Save up your money and go buy a fretless 5. There are plenty of ones out there for not too much money.

This way you still have a good fretted 5 should you decide you hate it. And, theres no chance you'll totally mess up your bass and not be able to go back.
  3. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey thanks Angus, that's probably a real good idea. Which fretless bass for not too much $$$ would you or anyone else recommend? prices would help!

and don't tell me to go and play them myself because only I can make that decision! I already know that! I think I've been here long enough to understand that, I mean hell, I've said it to other TBers. opinions??
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Cort Artisan has a good renommé. At approx $500. Or less, in the US....
    You'll better try it yourself, though :p:p:p:p:p (sorry, couldn't help myself,,,lousy caracter)