Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm bout to get all Alt Rock up in here

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    http://www.garageband.com/artist/kennyandhisbackpack

I'm probably going to join this band in some form. The drummer and guitarist/singer broke from this group... basically minus the keyboard player (bummer, I like keys, even though they are very sparse). Aparently they want to do something heavier. They sound pretty Nirvana/Flaming Lips to me, I'm down with this... I don't know what there plans are for the new group.

It's going to be strange for me, because I'm more... riff rock, and they're more chord progression rock. But we'll see how it goes... if all else fails, I've got effects to hide behind. :bag: :D

I normally don't listen to this style of music, what are some good bassists in this line of music? Chris from Nirvana is pretty good, but I would like a little more influence in the alt rock catagory.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. This will be a different band, so there will be a different band name. :D

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dude from Soundgarden was pretty good. Same for Mike Inez from Alive in Chains.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I know it's a typo, but it's sounds like a quintessential alt-rock band name. Or a really dorky metalcore band.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Good call. I'll have to get back into a grunge fix for a while.

I do like Alive in Chains better than alice... as far as band names go. :)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Upon thinking about it though, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are often riff rockers as well. I'm willing to follow the root notes if it's what the song needs, but I'd like to add a little more interest... especially since we are starting out as a trio.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It would have been hilarious if the letter wasn't even close to the C. Like P or Q.

:D

8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have found my inspiration!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Actually, some influences I might draw from playing wit this band. I've been listening to a lot of Cure and Joy Division today... and now I'm sad... but inspired.

11. Just dont get inspiration from The Smiths or Morrissey..........god I hate them.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

THANK YOU! Yeah, at first I thought "The Cure? Why listen to them?" then I discovered there older stuff... which is quite nice. Joy Division... the music is OK, but I like the bassists approach... Morrissey... is a horrible.

13. Well, since Billy Corgan scares you , get some inspiration from him . Smashing Pumpkins are pretty good, very alt rock.

But again..........no Morrissey.........you cant even begin to understand the hate for him.........thats the guy who singlehandedly made me hate the emo kids at my school even more than is humanly possible.

I cant see you as an "alt" rocker type though Matt...........................come back to your Stoner/weird/sludge/metal/prog brothers! :D

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know... I know... I'm not alt at all really. I've never had someone define my genre so well. :D

Steird Sludgetalog! That's much more better good. :D

The problem is, where are my S.S. brothers around here. :( The only spot was that guitarist spot I was talking about earlier... and I just couldn't give up the bass.

Billy Corgan's voice is a bit rough, but the music in SP is really good. I think I'm going to pick up some early Sonic Youth for weird alt rock inspiration... hopefully I can bring some weird to this group. :D

Edit: You'd be surprised how much I hate Morrisey...

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Stabbing Westward? STP? Foo Fighters? Bush? Live? That band with a blond lead singer/git player that is always bitching about his dad in every song. A sample lyric was something like this

"I am still living with your, ghost
    Lonely and dreaming on the west coast
    blah blah blah blah blah
    We can live beside the ocean
    Leave the fire behind
    Swim out past the breakers
    watch the world die"

Sorry but I'm out of my element here.

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    everclear.

the band, not the alcohol.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know if this guy is blonde yet... but it's very possible.

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Not very mainsteam Alt rock, and I'd assume your into them cause you dig stoner...But Joe Preston from the Melvins is alway great, especially for a 3 piece.

Other stuff worth checking out might be Seemless (I've really been diggin' this band lately, awesome 70's inspired riff-rock), Shift (if you can find it "spacesuit" great 3 piece band from NYC in the mid 90's), the Jesus Lizard, and Stone Temple Pilots maybe.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    MMMMMMMM The Melvins. Much love for the Melvins. They did say they wanted to go in a heavier direction. Jesus Lizard is awesome as well... not so much the singer, but everything else.

I don't know what's going on, because the drummer says he's having a hard time getting a hold of the singer/guitarist. :meh:

20. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    David Yow from the Jesus Lizard is a nut-job. I saw them live, and that dude was going sick. He ran off stage, through the crowd, dove over the bar, grabbed a bottle of jack daniels, pounded a huge swig, passed it to some dude in the crowd while running back to the stage to contiue with his performance. That was such a rockstar move...I'll never forget that.