1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm broadening my tonal horizons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a pretty specific range of tones that I usually use - rich in high mids with a little extra bottom. It's kind of like that throaty J-bass sound. But I just picked up a two-month sub gig with a church band (go figure) putting on a classic rock show. They play a lot of Beatles, Beach Boys and the like.

I realized I was going to have to use a thumpy kind of tone for the Beatles stuff, so I went to work. I'm using my LeCompte VB5, which has modern electronics and modern tone. But by rolling all the way to the neck pickup and rolling off some mids I'm pretty much there. I added one of the scrunchy-type things between the nut and the first fret and it's pretty much there.

I decided to use my Tone Hammer 500 with my Bergantino AE212 cab to get a bit of that vintage sound. I may switch the amp to my RH750 for the switching. The ideal rig would be the DB750/GS410 rig, but I'm too lazy to hump that thing these days. The whole thing sounds pretty decent even though it's way outside my typical tone goals. So even at my age I guess you can grow a bit, anyway.

That is all.

2. As long as you're not playing p basses you're still cool.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Indeed. And thanks for giving a rat.

4. That sounds like fun! Reaching for a completely new tone is something which most musicians do very rarely, and it can only be good for you, as a player. It might also turn you onto styles of music which you had not considered before, which is pretty exciting when it happens!

I know that this post does not add a lot, but I just wanted to let you know that I "give a rat's" too. :bassist:

5. I had to find a new tone when I joined my current band. Now I like it better than my older one. Good luck in your quest for new tones!

6. I had to completely change the way I played, as well as my tone and approach when I started playing with an indie/folk band. It was nothing like the classic/progressive rock band I had been in for the past two years. I think playing different genres makes you a more well-rounded musician. Munji, your LeCompte is beautiful!

7. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I've found that it can be hard to give up your 'signature' tone for something more appropriate. I went from playing high energy pop punk to folk acoustic. The overdriven midrangey sound I prefer didn't exactly jive. Same equipment, much different sound. It's fun to do different stuff though.

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Flats + pick is a great way to start sounding like Carol Kaye...
    the P bass is pretty much the done thing too :bag:

I'd guess if you can get the mids right you're good. You can cut the highs and keep the lows but the low mids need to have that 'hump' if you want that tone AFAIK.

Enjoy experimenting... you may find rethinking reaffirms your tonal choices... or causes a whole load of mixing and matching etc. Good luck with it all.

(get a P copy and make it tort all over. Then play with a felt pick while wearing crocs and neon 80's suits... or not. Golden beret optional :eyebrow:).