1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm broke, selling my gear and loving it!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blipndub, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Having a baby has made me see dollar signs in the equipment I've been collecting over the years and so I've been selling off stuff like crazy. Everything from basses to pieces and parts. The monetary return is fine (although you never get much back) but what I'm digging more is cleaning out all this STUFF. I used most of my basses, but it's good to have one that is my main and a backup. It fits with the sensibility of playing my pbass these days.

It's good to just keep it simple play one or two instruments well and learn how they sound best in the band setting. Changing basses all the time meant making eq adjustments all the time. Now it's just plug a play by default.

Selling this stuff off is the anti-GAS it's like Rolaids with booty.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Rock on, bro.

3. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    Conga rats.

babies rule, man. Keep an axe or two, and love your kid.

4. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I woulda sold the baby. :help:

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well, if you decide to sell the baby, I know a few couples who would be very interested. PM me with gender, general characteristics and asking price (pm is better because I don't think it's safe to further discuss this stuff in public).

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    There's something weirdly satisfying about a minimal (or even just a modest) setup. Personally, I like having just a small handful of instruments and really getting inside them and getting everything I can out of them. And too many choices is bad for me -- decision anxiety sets in and I'm always wondering "well, what if I used THIS bass on that one track, with THESE settings..."

Even if I was wealthy enough to use $100 bills as fireplace kindling, I doubt I would have a huge instrument collection -- I'd feel guilty about some of them just sitting there hardly getting played!

7. Baby is not for sale. Thanks for thinking of that tho...

I'm sure when I have some more cash flow the collection will start to creep back up.

8. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    Yep.... Paralysis by analysis... Happens when i try to buy stuff and there are too many choices...

9. anomalee

anomalee

Dec 16, 2005
    London, KY
    I sold everything i had except for one bass when my first one was born, 4 years later, I'm swimming in more gear than I've ever had.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    *sighs* No. It won't. Fifteen years from now you willl still have the same one main and one backup bass and you will look fondly back on the days when you had enough money to have gear.

At least that's my situation.

11. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    It is pretty nice to get rid of items that you're not really using... as much as it might hurt, the after-effects are amazing! :) I still have another item to get rid of, but I'm lazy/procrastinating on finding out how bad the shipping costs will be....

12. Just playing my pbass is great. I still have three jazz basses (one was a gift from Bill Nash, one was my first build, and one is a cheapo SX) so none of them are really sellable or worth the effort to sell (like the SX). Keeping with the pbass means I don't have to worry about eq settings during a set, I just blast away and it's great. I even sold my vintage fender guitar amp and I haven't missed it at all!

13. and just because...here's the reason why. Ruth Virginia
    ruthbw.jpg

14. Raum

Raum

Jun 13, 2007
    That's what I've been doing with my CD's lately. I had a 400+ CD collection but regularly listened to about 30 of them. I've sold off somewhere around 100 to 150 CD's and put that money towards new skateboards, a new bass and other nice things. Just nice looking through my albums and not skipping over a lot of them looking for something that fits my mood.

15. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    Beautiful. Most important thing in the world. You're lucky.

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Congratulations! Having kids sure changed my life too. :)

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I did that too, not because of kids, but because I realized I came back to the same bass, seldom used any effects, through one amp, and sold everything else. I realized I was sitting on a pile of potential cash, and decided to cash in.

Congrats on the baby, and being GAS free. Hope you saved some earplugs ;)

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021