Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im buildin a new bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ratamahatta, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    hey, i built a really nice bass not too long ago.. and im gunna build another.

i need to steal/borrow some of the endless knowledge from all of the vetran player/builders on this site.

ok first im thinking of the wood.

i have a large supply of marbelwood i wan use, it looks ok, its very dense which will provide all the sustain i could want, but its friggin heavy, and its toxic so i need a resperator while im working with it.

its a fairly light wood and im not sure yet what kind but i would like to use a darker wood for some inlays and the fretboard, if you have any ideas im open to hear them about that.

also, ive decide to make this one (whic is gunna be a six string) a fretless. im still going to mark the fret psotions and inlay lighter wood onto the fretboard because i cant play that well by ear yet, and ive never played a fretless, so if i dont like it i can fret it later if i want.

ok so i like roundwound strings a lot and i really dont want to use flats if i dont have to, if i put a finish on the fret board would that help keep the rounds from chewing it up?
    or should i leave it and put some kind of conditioner on it every now and then?

im gunna get two bart pups, soapbars, and rig the wiring so they each get their own volume for more tonal options.

becaus its a 6 string i was gunna have a 36" scale, im used to a 32 but i figured at would help make me a faster bassist, if i practice enough , and most 6's are 36" i hear.

i know its going to be a neck thru.

i guess i might be able to get some lacewood(which i know nothing about) to make the body, do u know much about that type of wood?

i was thinking if i could get a darker would i could laminate the neck (sandwich the dark wood) so there would be a stripe going down it, i heard if u laminate it there is less of a chance that it will bend and warp.

idk a lot about the hardware, like the truss rod. because my bass will be a 36" scale neck idk if i need a different type of truss rod, maybe a longer one?
    idk.

this will be the second bass i have built so i basically know how to do it. but any input wouldbenice.

also, im going to build to at a time, maybe one lace wood and one marblewood, im gunna keep the one i like better and sell the other i think .

advise would be appreciated

Mckay

2. Sorry, what is 'marbelwood'?

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I dunno about the 36", but I do know about 35". Most 5-6 strings I see are of the 35" scale variety, helps with the B string tension. At 36", you'll likely not have a lot of string options. Neck-through is a good idea, as is laminating a bunch of strips together for strength. The Hot Rods truss from Stew Mac is a good one, that's what I'm putting in my 6, as well as two graphite bars for added stiffness. Get yourself some full-scale plans, like the ones from MIMF.com- well worth the $25 or whatever they charge. You don't HAVE to make everything yourself, and you CAN change things around a bit, but they are solid plans that you can learn a few things from. BTW, Lacewood is a very nice body wood. What the heck is "marblewood" though? I'd go with some combination of maple, purpleheart, wenge, walnut in the neck. Just my opinion, though. Good luck, and you owe us pictures as you progress!

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    OK, marblewood...is this stuff. Ain't Google grand?

5. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    i never thought of graphite strips... thats a good idea, and maybe 35" scale would work fine.

well ive built a bass b4 i think ill just follow the same steps as i did last time, i have a book on it.

thx,
    my last bass had a wenge fretboard.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    So does mine. And all the woods I mentioned are in mine as well. I am putting the graphite in on either side of the trussrod, but not parallel to it. They will parallel the edge of the fretboard to further assist in controlling warp.

BTW- what book do you have?

7. FWIW, 36" isn't a hard scale length to find strings to fit. Smith strings are readily available in both 38" and 40" winding lengths. DR extra long sets fit the E on my Dingwall (36.25"). Once you get up to maybe 37-38" it gets trickier...

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Marble wood also goes by the name "pale moon ebony"

9. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    ratamahatta,

Have you been on projectguitar.com yet? It's a guitar builder's forum you'd probably get lots of help with your questions there.

I'm also making a 6-string fretless right now, you can see the "in progress" thread right here.
    http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14859

10. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    i think i know all the specs that i want, i just dont know where to start, i think last time i started w/ the neck...

11. wow! i took a look at phil's bass build and it looks awesome! i wish i had the time, money, patience ans skill to build a bass.....:)

way to go anyone that can do it! i envy you

12. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    death blooms heh?
    thats a pretty wicked song, ryan's crazy

13. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    ive decided i should probably put one fret at the very beginning of the fret board, but sunk down so its flush with the board, this will help protect it while i slap the crap out of it

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Are you talking about a Zero fret by the nut? Or a fret at the very end of the fretboard? If you were going that route, why not do a stainless steel plate?Wouldn't have to be big, if you're just protecting the fretboard. Just curious.

15. I think that he's talking about the other end of the board. If he is, a slap plate might be a good idea. I've seen them on a few basses... brass usually from what I recall.

16. Are you building a bolt-on neck?

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Details, man, we need DETAILS!!!

18. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    selah
    a neck thru

yeah i was gunna use it for slapping at the opposite end as the nut