I'm building a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Oct 23, 2004.

1. I'm going to build a 4 strings bass I think. (when I sell my MPG to finance it).

Tell me what you think-
    Warmoth Ash Jazz body (with exotic top & trans finish)
    No pickguard or control plate
    EMG P/J pickups
    Moses Precision graphite neck

I love the look of Jazz basses but the necks are too small for me. I want a "modern" sound. And I'd like to own an "eye-catcher".

I await your comments.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    those moses knecks are meant to be terrible for dead spots
  4. I second that on scraping the moses. Why don't you get passive SD Basslines first. You can always install a preamp later if you want to go active.

What do you mean eyecatching? Nothing you are suggesting sounds like a jaw dropper. Are you in cement on a 4? The control jack plates are very cool. Understated, yet classy.

P necks are thick but J bodies look more eye catching. I would occassionally shine light into a cute girl's eyes with my chrome jack plate just to get her to look at me on stage(pathetic, but true).

I recommend J-bass with P/J config. Alder body maple neck. But don't ditch the jack plate.
  5. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    you want eye catchin, dont go with a standard body style, make your own.

the body is the easy part to make, the neck is the more exact, do-it-right-or-your-screwed part
  6. OK. So how about ditching the Moses neck-
    J body (probably ash) w/ PJ pickups with quilt or flame maple top (or a metal flake finish)
    Maple/maple Precision neck with 70's block inlay (J neck=too small for me)
    No pickguard
    I'll have a control plate

I'm not concrete on a 4 but I don't like the "5 in line" style tuning key layout on most "aftermarket" 5 string necks.
  7. I'd love to get a warmoth PJ in a dinky P carved top body.these are just beautiful.
    check it out!
  8. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

Holy crap Batman..........That is simply incredible! :hyper: