Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm building a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Oct 23, 2004.

1. I'm going to build a 4 strings bass I think. (when I sell my MPG to finance it).

Tell me what you think-
    Warmoth Ash Jazz body (with exotic top & trans finish)
    No pickguard or control plate
    EMG P/J pickups
    Moses Precision graphite neck

I love the look of Jazz basses but the necks are too small for me. I want a "modern" sound. And I'd like to own an "eye-catcher".

I await your comments.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    those moses knecks are meant to be terrible for dead spots

4. I second that on scraping the moses. Why don't you get passive SD Basslines first. You can always install a preamp later if you want to go active.

What do you mean eyecatching? Nothing you are suggesting sounds like a jaw dropper. Are you in cement on a 4? The control jack plates are very cool. Understated, yet classy.

P necks are thick but J bodies look more eye catching. I would occassionally shine light into a cute girl's eyes with my chrome jack plate just to get her to look at me on stage(pathetic, but true).

I recommend J-bass with P/J config. Alder body maple neck. But don't ditch the jack plate.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    you want eye catchin, dont go with a standard body style, make your own.

the body is the easy part to make, the neck is the more exact, do-it-right-or-your-screwed part

6. OK. So how about ditching the Moses neck-
    J body (probably ash) w/ PJ pickups with quilt or flame maple top (or a metal flake finish)
    Maple/maple Precision neck with 70's block inlay (J neck=too small for me)
    No pickguard
    I'll have a control plate

I'm not concrete on a 4 but I don't like the "5 in line" style tuning key layout on most "aftermarket" 5 string necks.

7. I'd love to get a warmoth PJ in a dinky P carved top body.these are just beautiful.
    check it out!
    [​IMG]

8. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

Holy crap Batman..........That is simply incredible! :hyper: