Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm building my own rack case.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Nov 6, 2004.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Any suggestions? I'm building it because I want to be able to drill holes in the bottom of it so I can mount my Behringer in it. I don't really know what the dimensions should be on it(I want it to be a 6 space.) so if you have a good idea of what those should be, I would really appreciate it. I'm also going to be adding a tuner and power conditioner to it, so I don't want it to be too wide or too small. Thanks alot. -Brad

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Find some measurements from a racked device, and make your box so the rails sit at these locations. That is about the best advice I can give you. It might be cheaper to get a roto rack case and just mod it.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Each "rack space" is 1.75" . You can buy rack rails pre-drilled and tapped from Parts Express. Don't forget to buy some good handles and corners for it.

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
  5. www.starcase.com has interesting ideas. They sell corner mounted wheels and a handle assembly which is pretty trick.

6. Like many home-built projects, I'd normally just go out and buy one, my time's too tight to consider building a rack case for run-of-the-mill use.

However, I have considered building a 2 space rack case, covering it with sparkly blue Naugahyde tuck-and-roll, and doing a couple of matching speaker cabs. A reincarnated Kustom rig. Gotta have the sparkly Naugahyde tuck-n-roll though.

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ok, thanks for all the help. That Looking For Buyers site is great, I'll let you know how it goes and post some pics.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh baby - the memories are coming back to me now........ :p

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I built a rack case a while ago which is still going strong.Click here for a link to the thread.

10. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ok, thanks Pete!