1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm bummed - have to pass on a Rush tribute band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ron Plichta, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I love Rush and jumped when a Craigslist ad appeared looking for a bassist. We agreed on three songs for the audition - Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer and Limelight. I've worked every night to get the parts close enough to give a passable rendition, but the sad reality is I don't have the chops to do the songs justice. I reluctantly cancelled the audition tonight rather than waste their time and embarrass myself.

Meanwhile, I'll keep working on the songs and some other Rush stuff as a personal challenge.

2. That sucks man, you should have went to jam either way if you worked that hard on the songs, even if they didn't let you in I think it would've been fun for you, well hopefully something else comes your way

3. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Don't be so hard on yourself Ron, keep working, you'll nail it.

;)

4. Bummer! I would have done the same though. I'm a huge Rush fan but there is no way I have the ability to play in a Rush tribute band!

5. ladybassmusic

ladybassmusic

Aug 16, 2006
    Northern Virgina
    Endorsing Artist: Spector/LightWave/NS/Centrance/DR/Watson Pickups
    Hey Ron...sorry to hear that. I know you were really looking forward to that opportunity.

6. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm not going to give up on the songs. I've learned two things - 1) I need to practice more in "odd" time signatures and 2) I need to build up my dexterity. I had most of Tom Sawyer nailed except for Geddy's part during the guitar solo. Likewise for Limelight. I was just a couple fills away from getting Subdivisions down.

The good part is my ear is better than I thought. I pulled some tab as a cheat sheet and found out I was in the ballpark for a lot of the stuff. Now to get it polished.

7. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Guess you know what we can work on during some future lessons. :help:

8. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Man, that is a bummer. It always sucks realizing your chops aren't what you'd like them to be. On the bright side you have something to shoot for now.

Best wishes my friend.

9. No Malarky

No Malarky

May 27, 2010
    Ron, you have every right to be bummed, but I respect you for knowing your limits. You just keep practicing. Phobia 64 has a good point also about jamming. I believe you were correct by viewing this as you did and bailing out. Just don't beat yourself up over it. You showed good judgement in my opinion.........................now PRACTICE!

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I heard that even Geddy had trouble relearning some of the weird timed stuff when they reunited after Neil felt he was ready to continue after his wife's death

11. IM working with a rush tribute right now. Fun stuff, but not expecting to gig very often. My biggest issue is trying to sing some of the real old stuff

12. Mad props for being critical enough of yourself to think you're not doing the songs justice. So many bass players would half ass a lot of it and not thing twice about it.

Still, too bad you're in that spot, keep your head up.

13. Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    That's the issue. I could probably find a way to "fake it", but I also know that Rush fans can be a discerning group and I couldn't get away with that. Better to back off and take the time to get it right.

14. Too many are unrealistic about their abilities (heck, this could apply to nearly any type of 'artist') so I commend you for being realistic and mature enough to come to such a decision.

But keep working on your chops. You may never reach 'Geddy levels' but you can always improve.

15. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I was in this exact same situation six or so years ago. But I went to the audition anyway and did a good enough job on Barchetta and Limelight to stick with the guys for a long time. I was in no way perfect but they were impressed enough with my attitude and dedication and I got better as we went along. I've moved on to a bunch of different projects since then but I still jam with those guys just for fun every few months or so.

I can tell you this....learning the 25 or so Rush songs I learned playing with those guys forced me to become a better player. I practiced my a$$ off and I benefit today from all I learned during that process. One thing about Geddy bass lines is that once you really nail a few of them you'll start to see that he sort of likes going back to certain things over and over. Different rhythms but a lot of the same structures. So the more woodshedding you do in the early stages, the easier it will be to learn new songs later.

Stick with it...you'll be a better player for it. And the feeling you'll get when you truly nail one of the harder songs? Priceless.