Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm buying a guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    So I thought about for a week and instead of buying my self some cheap bass. I'm going to buy my self a guitar. I already own a crap guitar and I need a new one because my old one is falling apart. I'm hoping for a squier fat strat.
    Anyway I've never bought a new guitar before so I need some pointer.
    What should I be looking out for?
    What problems should I watch out for?
    What kind of free stuff can I try to get out of them?

Thank you
    Jim

2. It's a lot different buying a 'cheap' guitar than when I was a kid. A cheap guitar meant action at 4" at the 12th fret, and a mixture of plywood and cardboard body. These days, 'cheap' guitars are pretty good.

Make sure you get a guitar that has decent action on it, if it has a warranty, try to get a strap, a cord, some picks, and a case.

Good luck, Happy Shopping!

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    rondomusic.com guitars aint bad at all... my friend had an SG copy that wailed.

4. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    For under $200(US) you can get a Epiphone Les Paul knock off starter set. The action isn't great, but if you know what you're doing or know someone that does, it's worth it.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    You'd be happier with a MIM Fender, I bet. My $.02. If you're buying in a reputable shop, they should set it up for you with your choice of strings.

Oh: and buy the Tele instead. ;)

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Yeah but Maiden

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Heres my usual recommendation: Check out the SX's . There are a couple reviews here and there on this board on their guitars.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    People SX are out of the picture, I'm in Canada.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're only going to own one guitar, it should be an acoustic.

I recommend Seagull, Norman, and the other Godin brands. But particularly Seagull.

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I already own a guitar. I've been playing guitar for more then a year 1/2, almost 2 now. I'm buying a my second one. Witch is going to now depend on how much I can get for my old one. If I can get more then $100 I will be vary happy.

11. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I really like the Godin radiator guitars for a cheap guitar, if you aren't hung up on the Fender thing. (I thought you were for some reason.) Quality Canada manufacture! (I have an A5 bass...)

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Oh no no no. I'm hung up on the having a guitar that tunes thing.

Explain to me more about Godins please.

13. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Here's the Radiator:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinradp.htm

They're nice. They weigh next to nothing. The controls are unusual -- the pickups each have a volume knob rather than having a switch for pickup selection. They're inexpensive, but you can't buy them online (Godin forbids it) so I don't know how much they are just now. You'll need to phone a shop that carries them.

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Cool I wil check those out for sure.

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you want an acoustic/electric, check out Ovation - (I think I spelled it right) but my friend plays one and its really nice...