Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm buying a new amp today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt326, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Later today I'm heading out to pick up my new amp. I have picked out an Ashdown ABM 500 rackmount head and ABM 410T cab. This thing has been causing a severe GAS attack for several months now, and I can't stand it anymore. Maybe this purchase will calm down the GAS fires, but I fear it won't. Rehearsal should be a lot more fun tonight.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What led you to choose the Ashdown?

-Mike

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    GAS never dies.................

however, after reading joe beets' posts about the "threshold of farting", it seems that that might be a viable cure................ :smug:

4. I was not really interested in this amp when I first saw it (sticker shock), so I plugged into the MAG300 and MAG410 that were sitting beside the ABM. The MAG setup did sound good, but then for the sake of comparison I plugged into the ABM. The sound was much more ... articulate I guess you could say. The lower notes sounded tighter somehow without being sterile; I hope I'm using all these buzzwords properly :) . In short, the sound is warm and deep but not muddy and allows the notes I play to ring out clearly. I'll shut up now before revealing the true depth of my ignorance.

5. oooops. :D

Ashdown's are pretty cool. I tried an MK500 through 2 Ashdown 4x10s the other day. I didn't like the sound when I played an ESP through it the first time I tried it a few weeks ago, but It sounded much better with a Peavey and a Warwick this past time. How similar is the AMB 500 to the MK500?

6. Just got back from rehearsal with my new rig. OMG it sounded great :hyper: . My bass cut through like a knife.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    way cool!!

happiness is a new rig that lives up to expectations.

what did it replace? the Music Man HD130 w/1x18 cabinet??

i bet it cut thru like a knife in comparison.

the thing to do is to see if you can use both cabs together (if the amp can handle the net impedance) :cool:

and you need to update your gear list bro. :smug:

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Nice! I played drums in a prog rock band at one point and the bassist used an NS Stick running through almost the exact same rig. It sounded fabulous.

9. AAHHH! Note Definition is a wonderful thing. The single 18" cabinet needs a new speaker, so I'll be replacing it with an 8 ohm. Then I'll be able to run the two cabs together until I replace it with an ABM 212T; crap ... just when I thought the GAS was getting better - something else pops up.

10. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    can Ashdown ABM 500 go down to 2 ohm (two 4 ohms cabinets) ?

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope...4 ohms is the limit

12. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    too bad .

how about AL-AD600 ?

can i buy just preamp ABM RPM-1 EVO II(witch is basiclly the same as ABM 500 RC EVO II Head ) and a poweramp that can go down to 2 ohm ?
    will that do the trick ? :)

tnx

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  14. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    [How similar are the ABM500 and the MK500?]

It's the same power amp, but a different preamp. The MK500 uses all analog circuitry in its preamp, and is all graphic EQ. Aside from the Harmonic Emphasis function, it's pretty straight-line.

15. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    i see now that for ABM RPM-1 EVO II preamp the limit is 4 ohms (from ashdown site) but it doesn't say anything for AL-ADRP1 preamp's minimum load ? does anybody know ?

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Preamps should have impedance ratings... They should have an impedance of about (I think) 700 Ohms.

17. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    but it doesn't say can it be played at 2 ohms