Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm buying a new cab....got a few questions..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well now I'm gigging regularly, and my band is playing at a fairly big festival soon, I want/need a bigger stage monitor to hear myself on stage. I am looking at a MAG Deep 4x10 cab to go with my MAG 250(250 watt, 1x15 speaker). Now, I was told that this will only increase my volume by 3dB, but then I was told it'll double my volume because I have doubled(or more than doubled) the speaker area......which is right? :confused:

2. One word:

SEARCH.

This will save you (and everybody else) lots of time IMHO. ;) ;)

3. I don't have a clue what to type into the search thingy.....

4. How about "extension cab"?

Just a thought. :)

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    3db is the first audible difference in sound that the human ear can hear so doubling your power will not double your volume it will make you slightly louder.

But at the same time your sound will be fuller and bigger not louder just fuller and bigger this may give the impression of volume increase.

6. Nick, firstly by adding the second cab you will get the full 250w from your amp. It will sound alot louder out front and on stage and would make a good combination of cabs.

I gig live with a 1 x 15" and a 4 x10 cab and use the ABM500 EVO11 head i have never turned up more than half on the master volume and never had PA support as we play pubs and clubs mainly.

For larger gigs , outside, music festivals etc you could still use the same rig you have as it will only be acting as a stage monitor, the PA rig will DI or mike up or both and that will sort out the front of house volume.

So it isnt necessary to get another cab, but it would make your rig more complete if you did.

Dont get hung up on cabinet efficiency, db 's etc just judge it with your ears and take it form me that two cabs i.e 4 ohms load in total will make your rig about 35 to 50% louder.
    You could also get either a 1 x 15" or a 2 x 10 cab as long as what ever cab you get has an impedance of 8 ohms .

Good luck, how you getting on with the Tech 21 as you can use the DI from that as well.

Remember that a decent PA Soundman will also provide stage monitors, several spread across the stage and you can ask him to put more bass in the monitor nearest to you so as you can hear more of what you are playing out of that monitor.

The other thing to be careful of is the the Mag cabs do not stack on top of each other very well, the plastic corners do not all match up. You might want to put rubber feet on the top cab.

I tried the Mag 410 cab and found it a bit harsh sounding and didnt blow me away, but for the money its a good deal.

Others to consider as low cost cabs are: Hartke paper cone cabs, Peavey, Behringer, or best of all secondhand Trace Elliot or Ashdown ABM series or even Ampeg classic series (this is what i use live, 6 foot tall and rocks the building )

Good luck

7. Oh no!!!

He's only gone and mentioned the SansAmp!!! :eek: :eek:

:bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

8. Hmmmm, I really just need something to make it so my amp isn't running very close to the red zone(on the VU meter). If I got another cab, could I turn down a bit and still be the same volume, therefore meaning I can run my cab at a muhc lower level?

9. Nick you are supposed to have the input level on the Ashdown VU meter just hitting the red section when you pluck your lowest deepest note the hardest.

This will mean you are getting the best signal into the amp without adding clipping or distortion to the signal. The VU meter is very sensitive on the amp and will alter also when you add more bass etc so watch that as well.

The one to watch is your master volume, you shouldnt run that much more than 3 o clock as if you do you are running the amp nearly flat out and over time it will suffer as you have no headroom. If you need more volume then the second cab will make a big difference, for example we are a loud rock band and if i take one cab to practice my ABM500 head is running at about 2 o clock to keep up. If i take both cabs then the master volume is about 11 to 12 o clock max.

Another very useful tool is the Aphex Bass xciter this makes a single cab rig sound fuller and louder and they only cost £89 from the BassBoutique on ebay.

To be honest it also depends on how you play i play finger style with soft to medium attack, if i play with a pick (very rare ) the sound is very much louder.

10. I love my Sabddi are you still struggling with yours Nick ??

I tried MXR and Hartke Bass Attack and the Tech 21 was by far the best, but for better distortion the Fulltone Bass driver was great but just not me.

Ps im selling my DOD 250 on ebay at the moment its a good pedal for bass, slight reduction in bass but a very valve like overdrive and very simple, a bargain !!

11. Thanks for the help. I now use my Sansamp as a pre amp to beef up my tone, and add a bit of grindy growl. What I really need another cab for is this festival....there's 16 bands, that means there is only ONE backline allowed for each eprson, you can't use your own. I really want my own tone you see, so I have offered to let the Ashdown be used. However, there's a guy with a Status, and also a guy with a Spector Euro LX(you knwo what that pre amp is like!), so I want something that means I don't have to run my amp very hard, but still has the same amount of volume, if that makes sense.

12. I use my SABDDI just the same as a boost just when needed, blend at 12 o clock drive at 12 o clock bass and treble at 11 o clock and Presence at 9 o clock.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    PM'ed ya back.

Don't worry Nick we're not talking about you

14. Hi TaySTE 2000 pm sent, let me know what you think, thanks for waiting on the Boss pedal most considerate, maybe a special deal on the DOD ??

Mart

15. righty, the basic line is DO I NEED ANOTHER CAB TO MAKE MY RIG LOUDER SO IT IS MORE AUDIBLE AS AN ONSTAGE MONITOR? I've decided to let it be used for the Y-Rock festival, so it will be used by basses of all different types(from apssive to active status), so I want to be able to turn it down, but have it at the same volume, so there's less chance of the speakers beign damaged, if you get me.

16. So - did the search not help you? :confused: :confused:

17. Nick, I'm not sure anyone can fully answer whether or not you NEED another cab just to be heard on stage. Your monitor volume is a matter of preference (to you and the sound guy)If the "house" is supplying PA, then probably not. Will it hurt? of course not...but the sound man may not want you to take full advantage of your rig's capabilities. Most gigs I used my current set up (120 watts 2x12) as on-stage monitoring with zero problems. I'm sure a few here use the Ampeg B100R as a stage monitor. It doesn't take much (in my limited experience).

Another issue you touched on was other bassists using your rig and pushing it too hard. This is a bit tougher to control. If a bass' output is hot, its hot. The borrowers will probably be adjusting your eq for their benefit...throwing any calculation out the window. Personally, I've only let 2 people borrow my amp, and that number isn't likely to climb anytime soon.

Bottom line: You probably should not need an extension for the gig. Other people will adjust your amp to their liking without your consent... an extension will not help this appreciably. As always...in my opinion.

Mike

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Not true.

19. I don't play Ashdown (or even quality gear), but I'm curious as to what the meter is used for then. I assume it worked like a clip indicator. Please educate (this may be your only chance...I'm kidding).

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.