Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm buying my first upright and have questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jb63, Feb 17, 2002.

1. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've done some research and shopping and I think I've found a pretty good deal. The bass is a 1912 Lyon & Healy plywood bass. Everything appears to be in order (bridge, soundpost, tuners, etc.). In my novice opinion the bass plays fine and sounds great. My main concern is a crack in the heel. As best as I can describe, the crack is parallel to the fingerboard and is located about a half inch from the back of the body. From what I remember the width of the crack is about wide enough to slip a couple of post cards into.

I'll be buying this bass from a distant family member who is liquidating his uncles estate, so needless to say he doesn't know anything about basses. We negotiated a price of $1000 which will include a gig bag and a old wooden bow. I know this this bass is probably worth more and out of consideration informed him of that.

Is there anything else I should be aware of before I make this purchase? Will I be faced with any expensive repairs? Is it a good deal?

Any comments, suggestions or questions would be greatly appreciated.