Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Calling Out Ed Fuqua

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Tuesday. Around noon. Right here. We'll see what this guy's made of.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Huh? What's going to happen? Endpins at 20 paces? Dueling preamps? I thought you guys were the same person anyway...

If you both get killed, can I have at least one of those basses?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    watch it, he knows kung-fuqua.
    :eek:

4. Not if I get there first...:D

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Listen, let's be civilized about this...we all know that life isn't really like it's portrayed in all of those old cheesy westerns - in a real showdown, it's not that uncommon for both parties to get killed. Think about it: sure, Ed looked like a big hulking Gorilla in that picture he posted where he was standing next to Sanni...but then, who's to say what the perspective was like in that picture? Suppose Sanni's a tiny little thing, and Ed's a very short hulking gorilla? That would level the playing field, wouldn't it? Besides, you don't restore as many basses as Don has without getting pretty crafty with endpins, right? I call it even.

So - if they both buy the farm, we'll split the proceeds. I'll take the Mirecourt and the Kay, you can have the Mittenwald and the Flatback. That seems fair, doesn't it? And if one of them survives, I say we gang up on whoever it is and tie 'em up with our K&K BMP stereo preamp cables. After that, I'll arm wrestle you for the Mirecourt.

I reckon I'll be seein' ya there.
    - "Outlaw" Josie Fitz

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what's this "around noon" stuff. come on, don't you upright guys need to have tighter time than that? :D

7. Ever notice Ed dropping names when he's here? Testore, Vuillaume, Bergonzi, whatever. And most of all, PANORMO. And he's checking into the Hawkes Panormo model, and the Kolstein copy, and on and on, like a Panormo just slipped through his fingers. How much do we have to hear Ed waxing forlorn? NO MORE!
    I have it on reliable authority that a certified Panormo is about to come on the market. Opening price is $110,000, but we know that's silly and not viable.The guy with cajones gets this for less.
    Ed: IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO MAKE YOUR BIG MOVE.
    We're watching. What's it going to be, Panormo or Georgia-Pacific?

8. 110K...Jeez, that's quite a jump from the 36 or so English pounds they were selling for in 1924! Check this out..

Hawkes & Sons from Denmark Street, Piccadilly Circus, London.

The instruments manufactured by Hawkes & Sons during the latter quarter of the nineteenth century and the first half of the twentieth century were often supplied to the many army and military bands that existed especially in England. There were three grades of instruments, namely Professor, Concert and Panormo, that were based on the unsurpassable form of Vincenzo Panormo`s instruments.

All the models are characterized by their violin outline, deep ribs and generous proportions which are by no means too large to play easily. The Professor was a flat back model with upper angle break, and often outside linings, while the Concert and Panormo were produced with full swell backs.

To meet the demand for these robust and well-constructed instruments a great majority were imported from Germany and France, the Concert and Panormo models being superior in their choice of timber, workmanship and finish than those of the Professor. In 1924 the four string Professor instruments were being advertised at £22, the four string Concert at £26 and the four string Panormo model was £36. For the three string versions of these same models prices were £20, £24 and £32 respectively.
    Sniff sniff...The good old days...

9. Sorry, I guess I was suffering from sticker shock and got confused..
    Sure makes my Kolstein Fendt look like a bargain at $8500!

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :Eek:

and people talk about how much MY basses cost..

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, 14 strings, one for each note in the scale.

12. I noticed the 'view count' shot up after noon. Was everybody that interested in what would happen to Ed?

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, you know how Americans are...nobody can resist the thought of a little gratuitous bloodshed. Or maybe what you had there was a bunch of vultures hoping to snag one of those basses if you guys knocked each other off...

14. You got that right,Sherlock! There's always somebody waiting to pick up the pieces! Reminds me of a kind of ghoulish story..There was a Bassist in the Chicago Symphony that was extremely talented, but a manic-depressive. One day he blew his brains out, and the next day there were 18 calls to the personnel office saying "I hear you have an opening in the Bass Section..."

15. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    wait i still dont get it :D what is this duel? :rolleyes: Ed please dont mutilate my name on any reply..please!! ;)

16. Fergit it, Kid, Ya missed it...Bassically Don told Ed to put 'is moola where 'is mouth is.

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, ya got me beat...I'm struggling along on a NEW German factory bass. But what the hell, I'm happy with that. You're still getting a good sound, right? Still getting the calls, right? Just because you can't become a babe magnet like HIG DONDON by posting pictures of your antique collection online doesn't mean you ain't makin it....but look at the bright side: at least you know that your woman loves you for who you are. I'll bet the line of women outside Don's place are all just waiting for a chance to make off (out??) with that Mirecourt the minute he turns his back.

Yep, that must be a lonely feeling....Don, we feel your pain. If you ever get tired of wondering whether people love you for yourself or only for your basses, I'm sure some of the generous folks like Ed or reedo or myself would be happy to help you out. The way I see it, your problem is that Mirecourt....no woman could resist that. If only you didn't have that one, you might be a little more secure when meeting new people. Now, if you want, I'd be happy to store it down here for a little while while you try out the feeling of knowing you are being appreciated for who you really are. Just try it. You could have it back any time you wanted....really......

18. Yeah, Don, Being the great guy you are,what need have you for such extravagant material possessions?
    You'll be amazed at how enlightened you'll feel if you just let one of us, ummm..store it for you for awhile while you discover your true worth. It's the only way to gain true knowledge,
    Trussst meeee....:D