Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm car-audio illiterate.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    And I probably spelled that wrong, too.

Anyways.

My truck has a pimpin' upgraded tape player that looks new enough that the guy who had it before me should have stopped being a cheap bastard and just gotten a CD player...

Casey seems to think that it doesn't really matter what I get... anything is going to blow a stock 1992 speaker system away.

I wanna spend less than $120.

I need two 6 1/2" speakers

One CD player/Tuner for a 2" space.

You have one hour.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You got an ipod or similar, right Mikey? All kids your age do. Just use that through an FM transmitter. All ya need.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Sorry pat... I don't have an iPod.

Since I'm so abused via lack of an iPod... can I have your eldest daughter? :)

4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    For that price range? Go to walmart, they have everything you need. Add another hundred and you're looking at bottom line name brand stuff.

5. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    it's OK.

most car-audio guys dont know what they're doing anyways.... :bag:

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If you could talk her into it, you could probably talk me into it, but I'm not liking your chances, since she said you looked gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) :D

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    crutchfield made a liar out of me.

i have 4 4'' speakers.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    For $120 just get a new head unit now and save up for the speakers later. Or spend $100 or so on the head unit and look around for some used speakers after your next paycheck.

I recently bought this head unit and my system sounds so much better with the stock speakers. I asked for some CDT speakers for Christmas. The head unit will play mp3's off of CDRs. It doesn't have an aux input.

A lot of the Pioneer and Aiwa HUs have front aux inputs if you think you may be getting an mp3 player some day. It seems like the Pioneer HU's get pretty good marks for sound. Personally I'd avoid the FM modulators. Their ****e for sound IMO and you could possibly have problems if the radio dial is real crowded in your area.

brad cook

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    From what I remember Cheese, you could probably talk her into it if Mike's mom was involved in the deal. Just imagine someday you might be calling Mike "son". Now THERE'S something to look forward too.
    :D

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
  11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Check my user title Burk! :)

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +1, There's no way spending that little you're going to get anything significantly better than the stock speakers, especially if they are 4" ones. I got an Alpine AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA player off of e-bay for around $130 and the seller was GREAT (buy-it-now, paid at around 8PM, had a UPS tracking number by noon the next day...Item was BRAN NEW!!!) I'll look up his user name if you're interested.

Then save up for DECENT speakers, and with 4" ones, I'd consider thinking about some small but reasonable self powered subwoffer (there is very little hope for bass from 4" speakers) and maybe a small amp.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Wow, I never noticed, I guess I got distracted by the Packer/urine thing and all. :D I need to update mine now that we've confirmed Brad Cook is the Quintar. Don't you miss the fun days when we got to talk about "Bush bad" at TPA?

14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    There's no "u' in the name of Brad's (or Mike's) alter ego's name.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep..I miss TPA a bit Burk, but the stress of us being right and everyone else wrong, was a bit much sometimes. ;)

Brad Cook, is indeed, the Qintar.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're contradicting yourself in this post.

brad cook